Sci's "Simplify & Win" log

I'm beginning to need just one oly, but not sure what it's called. When I do skulls or when I get ready for squats and need to put the bar up from the waist to the chest with a couple of plates on it? (to get it into position or on the rack pins) That's starting to get hard (as I age more) with anything over 135.

Heavy Day

Bench Press: 155x5, 165x5, 175x5, 185x5, 195x5....still more in the tank
200x5
(*edited, I did 200 not 205 for 5...not a PR, next week go for 205 which is a previous PR.)

Deadlift: 225x5, 240x5, 255x5, 295x5  Easing into deadlifts with my new sumo-ish form.

WG Rows: 155x5, 165x5, 175x5, 200x5

Next week bumps all the weights a tad higher, I made a spreadsheet so all I have to do is type in my 5 rep maxes and it instantly calculates all the loads for each set of each exercise all week long.  As long as I make all 5 reps on the final set of heavy day, then I type in  a new 5 rm to shoot for next week.
This Bill Starr 5x5 training is great stuff.

Nice equal row / bench numbers - an imbalance I have to correct.

These numbers are lb's aren't they???

<div>
(DanOz @ Apr. 06 2008,22:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nice equal row / bench numbers - an imbalance I have to correct.

These numbers are lb's aren't they???</div>
Yeah, if they were kilos I'd be kicking butt in powerlifting competitions.
laugh.gif

Nice work sci! I agree that lifting Bill Starr 5x5 style is some pretty serious and great stuff. I've had my best gains in size and strength using his methods. Keep up the good work.

'Light' day.

Deadlift: 225 for 2x5, 245 for 3x5.
Bench: 145x5, 155x5, 165 for 3x5.
WG Row: 140x5, 150x5, 160 for 3x5.

Specializing in these three lifts for now as these are where I want to get the strongest. (My chosen 'Big 3' as Starr would say). Eventually I'll probably alternate in dips, chins and squats again. We'll see how this specializing goes first.

Sci,

Nice lifts. Are you using a T-Bar for the WG Rows, I remember you saying you didn't like BO Rows. If so, do you only calculate the weight of the plates, or do you add something for the apparatus itself? I did some T-bars yesterday and they were MUCH tougher than BO or Pendlay Rows for me.

I'm using a chest-supported t-bar row. Using an olympic bar which I figure in since its heavy to move even without plates.
I started out doing these with only about 150 for 5. My strength has increased dramatically in the past few months with practice and my back has added some nice muscle!
Stick with it for awhile and you'll see hypetrophy results, especially in the upper/mid bakc thickness. Also my lats are getting fuller than ever.

Medium Day

Bench press: 145x5, 155x5, 165x5, 175x5, 185x5

Deadlift: 135x5, 225x5, 245x5, 260x5, 275x5

WG Row: 140x5, 150x5, 160x5, 170x5, 180x5

Well my body is definitely going through hypertrophy stage as I can't seem to control my hunger and my weight has actually gone up and bodyfat has not.
Needless to say I am quite happy about the growht so far this cycle and will postpone my cut as long as the hypertrophy and strength gains keep coming so easily.
It reminds me of the folklore surrounding 5x5: warning this program is not recommended for people trying to maintain or lose weight as it tends towards rapid hypertrophy!
biggrin.gif

HYPERTROPHY REALLY IS ADDICTIVE!
Weight: 200 lb.s

Here are some pics...I guess I am not so fat anyway, so postponing cutting won't hurt.
DSCN4474.jpg

DSCN4476.jpg

I like the simplicity of your routine, I do something like that during the post-5's; only basic compounds while pushing for a bit more...

Anyway, you don't look fat at all to me, so I'd suggest that you keep bulking as long as the gains are coming.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Looking at these pics its obvious I have some mroe growth to go before I worry about getting lean. I definitely want some new PRs this cycle and another few pounds of muscle would be nice too!

Yeah, you aren't fat enough to worry about needing to cut right now, in my opinion. Hell, don't make me take some pics of myself in the same pose to show you what real fat is!

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 11 2008,19:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, you aren't fat enough to worry about needing to cut right now, in my opinion.  Hell, don't make me take some pics of myself in the same pose to show you what real fat is!</div>
Well, I am sucking in the gut quite a bit in those pics!
blush.gif

But you're right, I'll keep on GROWING!
mad.gif

Also, I may be going 'ON' again for a more serious cycle. We'll see, even if I do, it won't be for a couple weeks or longer.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 11 2008,19:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 11 2008,19:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, you aren't fat enough to worry about needing to cut right now, in my opinion. Hell, don't make me take some pics of myself in the same pose to show you what real fat is!</div>
Well, I am sucking in the gut quite a bit in those pics!
blush.gif

But you're right, I'll keep on GROWING!
mad.gif

Also, I may be going 'ON' again for a more serious cycle. We'll see, even if I do, it won't be for a couple weeks or longer.</div>
I'm sure you did suck it in, but you can't suck in lower back fat, and the lowest part of the gut when sufficiently fat cannot be concealed when sucking it in unless you are clothed. I don't see a roll there, and I don't see any significant lower back fat... actually, your waist looks rather small still. So, I think you can comfortably bulk without worrying about getting so fat that it will be hell to cut back down. Just take your time, look at the longview instead of the short... if you do, I think you'll find you'll start making very rapid progress on everything. It's worked for me, anyway, after tolerating incremental gains in everything for the last couple years.

If you do decide to be &quot;on&quot; then what exactly are you considering? Just curious. You must know how you react to certain things by this point, so you may be able to experiment a bit more this time. I could give some input about that if you want to discuss it.

I'll PM you. I am tall and lanky so I carry fat extremely well. Believe it or not I think I am around 18%!!! But I don't care. The average male is over 20%.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 06 2008,21:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I made a spreadsheet so all I have to do is type in my 5 rep maxes and it instantly calculates all the loads for each set of each exercise all week long.  As long as I make all 5 reps on the final set of heavy day, then I type in  a new 5 rm to shoot for next week.
This Bill Starr 5x5 training is great stuff.</div>
Whoa, you are looking good, Sci. You're wasting away to nothing...
wink.gif

I've never been quite able to figure out how the Bill Starr 5x5 program is supposed to work. Would you be so kind as to post your spreadsheet? Perhaps if I had something I could just plug numbers into, I could give the 5x5 a shot.

I can't upload it on the forum, since its an excel file.
I'll shoot it to you as an e-mail if you'd like.

Just send me your e-mail address in a private message.

Hey Sci, judging by your recent pics I agree that you might as well keep on bulking for a while yet. If you really are at 18% bodyfat, you carry it well. I say 'Go for it!'

Looking forward to seeing how you get on this cycle. So far it looks very promising.

STAR 5X5: Heavy Day.

Bench Press: 145x5, 155x5, 165x5, 175x5, 205x5 PR

WG Row: 140x5, 150x5, 160x5, 170x5, 200x5 PR

Deadlift: 135x5, 225x5, 245x5, 265x5, 305x5 PR

All PRs! The bench is a previous PR from last summer's bulk when I was 210 lb.s, the deadlifts I have done more, but I am used to max-stim and these reps were done without m-time, just de-load on the floor and then pull.

So far, this is the closest program to the 'Holy Grail' that I have tried.
I recommend everyone interested in strength training to pick up a copy of Bill Starr's The Strongest Shall Survive. Its more to the point and better written than 'practical programming' imo.

Next week goals on Heavy Day:

Bench: 210x5
Row: 205x5
Deadlift: 315x5

Time to punch in the new 5rms for next week's cycle!

Weight: 202 lb.s

Back