The Road to 10%

I found it to be. My lower back was stiff all day. I changed it to the squat day.

<div>
(electric @ May 25 2008,12:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I found it to be. My lower back was stiff all day. I changed it to the squat day.</div>
Thanks for the tip; that's what I'll do.

This week, I am doing IF to clean off some extra fat before the big day!

5/28/08 - HST/5x5 WO
<span style='color:red'>Jump Ropes / Moving Furniture</span>
<span style='color:blue'>One Arm Bent-Over Row: 12.5 - 8, 82.5 - 4, PR: 122.5 - (3 clean, 5 iffy)
Hack Squat: 145 - 3 (9 sets), PR's: 195 - 2, 205 - 1, 210 - 1</span>

This was my last Squat workout of the cycle. I was unsure how I would do around 200, but I seemed fine. I know I can do a normal squat at this weight, so it looks like I already hit my goal for 2008 at Squats!

This was possibly my last workout of the 15th HST cycle. I may try and get one in Friday morning before work commences on the house for the rehearsal dinner that night.

<div>
(colby2152 @ May 28 2008,6:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">rehearsal dinner</div>
wow! it's really coming up fast. good for you man!

<div>
(fearfactory @ May 28 2008,9:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(colby2152 @ May 28 2008,6:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">rehearsal dinner</div>
wow! it's really coming up fast. good for you man!</div>
You're telling me; wedding is on Friday. I'll be away from this forum from May 31st to June 10th during my SD/honeymoon.

Colby, first of all let me say taht you are doing really great, and you have made huge progress so far.  Hard work pays off, congrats!

But I still think you underestimate your bodyfat%.  I would guess you are at least 15% from the latest pic.  12% is pretty lean and I don't think you are there yet.  For  example I would guess Joemuscle's latest pics to be around 12%.

Are you using calipers?  They seem to be the best, but I've heard its common people aren't aggressive enough when grabbing the skin-fat since it hurts to pull it properly for a skin-fold measurement.

That said, you are still a great inspiration!  
cool.gif
 I need to follow your lead again, I finished bulking awhile ago, but I need to get my pudgy 18% down!  I am starting my own road to 10%....this time slower like you are doing.

Good to see you hitting some PRs before you SD.

All the very best for your big day mate. Hope the wedding is a rip-roaring success and that you and your dear lady have a fantastic time on your honeymoon.  
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ May 28 2008,11:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Colby, first of all let me say taht you are doing really great, and you have made huge progress so far. Hard work pays off, congrats!

But I still think you underestimate your bodyfat%. I would guess you are at least 15% from the latest pic. 12% is pretty lean and I don't think you are there yet. For example I would guess Joemuscle's latest pics to be around 12%.

Are you using calipers? They seem to be the best, but I've heard its common people aren't aggressive enough when grabbing the skin-fat since it hurts to pull it properly for a skin-fold measurement.

That said, you are still a great inspiration!
cool.gif
I need to follow your lead again, I finished bulking awhile ago, but I need to get my pudgy 18% down! I am starting my own road to 10%....this time slower like you are doing.</div>
Thank you for the words of encouragement Sci. About the body fat percentage. I know I am higher than 12%, and probably closer to 15%. As I said before, my listed body fat% that is below 13% is more of a tracking measurement. I won't declare myself at 12.00% until love handles are gone.

I'm sure I will be cutting through the summer, but it isn't like I have been cutting calories the entire time. For the past few weeks, I have been eating at maintenance or slightly above thanks to my infrequent workout schedule.

<div>
(Lol @ May 29 2008,12:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good to see you hitting some PRs before you SD.

All the very best for your big day mate. Hope the wedding is a rip-roaring success and that you and your dear lady have a fantastic time on your honeymoon.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
</div>
Thank you sir! This will be my most enjoyable SD ever.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ May 29 2008,9:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Enjoy teh honeymoon!!!
cool.gif
</div>
Oh I did... and I, or we, want to go back to Punta Cana. It was a fantastic SD that I will be extending through this week. I do much better with longer (&gt;14 days) SD's anyways.

Thanks guys. My next cycle is a return to the basics. No more program manipulation/mixes/super frequency. I believe I have found what works for me. I believe normal frequency (3-4x/week i.e. every other day training) is the best as it reduces the stress on the body holding off the cortisol release. The regular frequency curbs RBE, prevents over training to the body (CNS, fatigue, sickness, and again stress), and allows the time for optimal muscle growth and recovery.

I have been an advocate of increased frequency and optimal diet in the past. I will be keeping up my theme of diet optimization and healthy eating, but due to my new focuses on recovery and stress management, I am now a believer in standard HST frequency.

HST Cycle XVI will look something like this:

Dips*
Barbell Bent Over Row
Deadlift
Seated OH Press
Hack Squat

*more of a calisthenic exercise since it will be done free of weights and on chairs

Two weeks each of 15's, 10's, 5's and 3's. I will be incorporating some rest-pause / MS techniques in addition to negatives at the end of the cycle. My cycle may adapt to new equipment that I will be buying (re-introduction of Barbell Bench Press, Hack Squat changed to Back Squat and possibly an alternation of Squats and Deads when loads get heavy).

Pimp My HST handbook recommends starting with your core workout in the 15's, adding specialization techniques and exercises in the 10's, optimizing a bit more as you go along, so here is my plan...

15's: <span style='color:blue'>Row, Deads, OH Press, Squats</span> + <span style='color:red'>Chair Dips</span>
10's: <span style='color:blue'>Row, Deads, OH Press, Squats</span> + <span style='color:red'>Chair Dips + Push-Ups</span>
5's: <span style='color:blue'>Row, Deads alternated with Squats, OH Press, Bench Press</span> + <span style='color:red'>Push-Ups + Light RCCP's</span>
3's: <span style='color:blue'>Row, Deads alternated with Squats, OH Press, Bench Press</span> + <span style='color:red'>Push-Ups + Light RCCP's</span> with <span style='color:green'>Static Holds, Rest-Pause and/or Pulses</span>

I am always doing only four weight lifting exercises (blue). I may consider Tabata for the calisthenics (red). The last type of optimization techniques (green) in the 3's is unknown at this point, but it will be one of those three techniques.

Interesting note about my 16th cycle that is starting in June 2008. I have titled it &quot;Back to Basics&quot;, but it really should be titled &quot;Back to Basics II&quot;

Back to Basics I started in this same month, two years ago as this story of my HST history tells.

It lived up through two cycles, Cycles VI and VII until I got wacked with a broken appendix. Since then I went through a period of warmup specialization, caveman workouts, and HST/5x5/HIT hybrid cycles.

Back