Wannagrow's training diary

squat 57.5- 5/5/5
bench press 57.5 5/5/5
deadlift 70 5
chins bw 6/6/5

comments: squats are hard. I can complete the reps but they are just soooo taxing. Bench press I did explosively, just to see what it would be like.

QD: I deliberately started with light weights to really focus on honing my technique kind of lke building a house from scratch. But I think that adding in some ab work will be enough. What do you think this tight feeling in the lower back is?

The tight feeling in your back is probably just from working it so much. You are doing deads, rows, presses, squats... they are all taxing on the lower back. It might be okay, then again it might be something to keep an eye on. When I get real heavy, my lower back feels tight the day after every workout.

Adding in some ab work, as you are considering, could be a good idea. I would do it in the same rep range as everything else - strong abs are definitely a great thing when you are doing the exercises you are doing.

Squat 60 5/5/5
Press 35 5/5/5
Pendlay Row 45 5/5/5

Comments: Left knee experiencing pain during flexion. I will stop squatting for a while because my knees have to heal.
Everything else is dandy.

I am now doing an ab exercise where I hold I dumbell with an outstreched arm over me and crunch my torso upwards. I have no idea what its called, I jsut saw someone else do it.

Deadlift 75 5/5/5
Bench 60 5/5/5
Chins 7/5/4

Comments:

I didn't do squats today because my left knee hurts like hell when i flex it. What is wrong with the way I squat? I'll definitely post a video of my squats! I'll post it either tommorow of wednesday. 2 videos from the front and side view. I don't think my technique is that bad that I have knee pain. Why does s*** always happen to me?

<div>
(wannagrow @ May 12 2008,10:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I didn't do squats today because my left knee hurts like hell when i flex it.  What is wrong with the way I squat? I'll definitely post a video of my squats! I'll post it either tommorow of wednesday. 2 videos from the front and side view. I don't think my technique is that bad that I have knee pain. Why does s*** always happen to me?</div>
Sadly, life ain't fair. Sometimes we have physiological issues and/or differences that we have to work around. However, it may be something to do with your form that you can correct so post the vids of your squats and then maybe we'll be able to help.

Have you ever injured your knees in the past through a fall or other impact?

<div>
(Lol @ May 12 2008,10:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(wannagrow @ May 12 2008,10:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I didn't do squats today because my left knee hurts like hell when i flex it.  What is wrong with the way I squat? I'll definitely post a video of my squats! I'll post it either tommorow of wednesday. 2 videos from the front and side view. I don't think my technique is that bad that I have knee pain. Why does s*** always happen to me?</div>
Sadly, life ain't fair. Sometimes we have physiological issues and/or differences that we have to work around. However, it may be something to do with your form that you can correct so post the vids of your squats and then maybe we'll be able to help.

Have you ever injured your knees in the past through a fall or other impact?</div>
I think about 2 months ago I got knee pain from squatting and I think that now even though my technique is better, after reading SS, the same problem's coming back. Only last time it was my right knee that was hurting and now its my left, so I don't think they're related. Last time I saw a GP about it, he couldn't diagnose it.

I really haven't a clue what to do because I certainly can't squat tomorrow and there's no way I'm going to deadlift 3x weekly. Leg press and leg extensions produce as much pain as squats. Should I just do upper body workouts for now?

<div>
(wannagrow @ May 13 2008,9:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...and there's no way I'm going to deadlift 3x weekly</div>
Go for it! If you're not doing squats, you should be able to increase your deadlift frequency considerably.

Not sure about the knee, it might be going a little forward passing the foot, but what I noticed is that the lower back seems to be rounding when you are down on the hole. I can't be sure because of the angle of the shot.

Thanks electric. I've got more vids to post since I want my form to be 100% perfect.

Deadlift 77.5 5/5/5
Press 37.5 5/5/5
Pendlay row 47.5 5/5/5

Comments: I will post a vid of the above exercises on youtube so that you guys may criticise my technique/ the way I train etc..

It doesn't look like you are locking out at the top of the deadlift.

All the lifts looked extremely light, maybe you aren't going heavy enough or something.

ok, how would I lock out on a deadlift?

The weights are light because I want my form 100% perfect and only then will I increase the weight and besides I'm a noob- what do you expect?

I meant they looked light as in it looked like it was really easy for you. It seems like you could easily go a lot heavier, but you are right, you want form to be good first...

Anyway, it's possible you are locking out but I can't really tell. Are you standing up completely? It sort of looks like you don't stand up and straighten completely before going back down. In the first video especially, it appears as though you're still bent slightly at the hips when you get to the top of the deadlift.
Also, it looks like you are going out and around your legs, while the bar should really be in contact or just about in contact with your legs the whole time. So it's basically like you are dragging it up your legs to the lockout point. Going out and around the legs will limit how much weight you can pull.

Actually, I'm not too great at explaining this, so I'll just link you to a halfway decent video by Rippetoe about deadlifting.
Deadlift Instruction

Everything Tot said, and your head on the Pendlays. If you're comfortable with the head up, fine, but pay attention to the neck/upper back area when you add weight. It's not necessary to stare ahead. I look a couple feet in front of the bar for comfort. My focus is then on the lats and upper back tension. When you put 45's on there, you won't have to let go the bar every rep because it'll be taller.
Form is really good for a noob: you've done your homework.

ok, thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I probably wasnt locking out fully on the deadlift because I fear hyerextending my back, which I believe caused the tightness in my back but I see that I need to fully extend everything, hips &amp; knees. The pendlay row, I don't know much about so thanks for comments, quad.

I will soon post a video of my most dreaded exercise: the squat. It has been giving me the most problems and killing my knees. I really don't want to drop it but if I continue getting knee pain and my technique is correct, I'll have to drop it. I'll have to wait til saturday, although if my knees aren't healed by saturday, then monday etc.

My question is, if I haven't squatted for a week and I go back to it, should I drop the weight due to the deconditioned state I'm in?

<div>
(wannagrow @ May 15 2008,2:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I probably wasnt locking out fully on the deadlift because I fear hyerextending my back, which I believe caused the tightness in my back but I see that I need to fully extend everything, hips &amp; knees.

My question is, if I haven't squatted for a week and I go back to it, should I drop the weight due to the deconditioned state I'm in?</div>
You don't hyperextend your back to lockout the deadlift. Rather you push your hips forward in a hard bump (as in a &quot;bump and grind&quot;).

For your squat, just start out with low weights to warm up. Then add weight until it is comfortably uncomfortable...  
smile.gif

You are probably not as deconditioned as you may think.

just got a chance to watch your vids. looks to me that quad and Tot gave good feedback.

one thing I would add is to consider staggering your stance OHP's. I know some guys don't and that military presses call for heels together...but I find more stability from staggering my stance. also, I think it's easier to push press w/ a staggered stance. just a thought...

Back