Boycott Planet Fitness

What a B****H!!!!

Tells the guy to do it again and then says it's a little loud!!!!!!!! Just hissing!!!!!

I feel sorry for you guys in the US having to deal with these post-womens-lib b****hes!

I am pretty sure that this is not going to be a very popular view, but if we all agreed on everything, then this forum would of no use.

I personally get annoyed with the guys that are in the weight room damn near screaming as they are lifting. The last gym i belonged to was a place where there was a group of 5 - 7 guys that would be in the weight room yelling, and grunting and what ever... They were definitely in the "business" of going above and beyond calling attention to themselves.

I am not saying that the weight room should be quite like a church, or like a library, but there has to be some line between what is trying to get the most out of yourself and just being obnoxious.

I think that rules like the one that Planet Fitness have implemented can be taken to extreme ( and at times definitely are), but in the end, they are trying to make the gym a comfortable place for the majority of people, not the few. And any of us can look around and see that the majority are not the people who have issues and run-ins with the no grunting policy.

I agree somewhat with Runjor. Meatheads screaming bloody murder on every rep are annoying. But some level of making noise is to be expected. Not making noise during a workout is like not making noise during sex, it's just hard if not impossible to do to a certain degree. Dropping weights can also be taken to an extreme, but sometimes it is necessary also.

What gets me though, and what really makes Planet Fitness a disgusting example of the POLITENESS ON wimpification POLITENESS OFF of the American male, is their other rules. Namely: No squatting, No Bent Over Rows, No Deadlifts, No T Bar Rows, No chalk. They completely disallow some of the most effective and basic barbell exercises. A gym that takes a No grunting rule to an extreme is an annoyance. A 'gym' that disallows 3 major barbell exercises and one variant, limits the weight on bench presses to 225lbs, and limits dumbbells to 80lbs, isn't a real gym. Granted your average gym goer will likely never go that high with those weights respectively, but if you want to truly excel this isn't a place to join, and so what is the point of joining?

I say if you've never lifted a certain weight dumbbell, you don't get to tell me how to put it down. Also, if I owned a gym and were to install a Wimp Alert, or an 'alert' that drew attention to some class of people who were stereotypically seen as weak, I'd be sued for discrimination faster than you can drop a 100lb dumbbell. But when it's busy bodies who are interested in discriminating against men who don't haven't been clipped below the waist it's all fine and dandy...

All yuppie, preppy, meathead and whatever gyms aside, I see the grunting as beneficial for a reason.
Forget the dweebs who do primal screams in their warmup sets (which means; "look at me") and the guy who hisses thru his teeth to control his exhalations, which is a good trick.
I mean the caveman grunt, the lion's roar if you will, of the maximal effort on the maximal weight for you. It takes my mind off of my weak points, controls exhalation, gives me the focus to employ every fibre of my being, and the determination to do so, since I'm making the noise; I'd better be totally in the lift.
So, outside of breath control and keeping you out of aneurisms, it's really a mental thing worthy of an extra 10% in strength, IMO.
Besides, at my house, you could barely hear it over the music. And what about that stupid HORN??? What could be more distracting than THAT?
wow.gif

<div>
(Runjor @ Feb. 27 2007,14:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">but in the end, they are trying to make the gym a comfortable place for the majority of people, not the few. And any of us can look around and see that the majority are not the people who have issues and run-ins with the no grunting policy.</div>
This was a good post, because this is exactly what concerns me.  Planet Fitness is starting to appeal to  gym owners, and many are changing their affiliations from Golds and other names to Planet Fitness.  If their conduct  rules are desired by the masses, then who knows how many other gyms will follow in their footsteps and enforce the same kinds of policies ?  

I'm with nipponbiki...when that chick said her cohost was hissing too loudly to be in a gym, it was just too much.  Banning screaming and yelling or other things which draw attention to yourself  is one thing, but hissing ?  That's ridiculous.

Just in case Steve's link didn't work for anybody else here's one that worked for me:

Planet Fitness

I am speechless. Most of them are probably listening to their iPods anyway. Thank goodness for choice!

It wouldn't surprise me if that noisy alarm going off caused someone to drop a weight and injure themselves.
biggrin.gif

Thanks, Lol, your linked worked better for me (mac?)

It makes sense to market to weak, flabby, couch potatoes since they represent the majority. A great way to make money. I mean probably only one in ten americans is really an 'athlete' type, that can actually do some decent workout with barbells. If I ever start my own gym, it will be a powerlifting gym with power racks, rubber mats, chalk and barbells. The problem is only one member will join a hardcore gym for every 50 flabby weaklings that go and join a gym like planet pussylips.

That vid-story made me want to walk in there and piss on the front desk.
mad.gif

The alarm is a great idea!

I decided to talk to my gym about setting up an alarm too. I want it to go off whenever people are doing curls in the squat rack.
mad.gif
mad.gif

That trainer talking about &quot;fatiguing&quot; and having the goal as using lighter weights is a moron.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Feb. 27 2007,21:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That trainer talking about &quot;fatiguing&quot; and having the goal as using lighter weights is a moron.</div>
Were you expecting anything else?

I agree that the gym is not very good, if it is so strict and irrational in its rules and doesn't allow squatting. I'm sure nobody here would want to ever be a member of such a gym. However, that guy, Argibay, signed a contract with the gym, he knew full well the rules and yet deliberately violated them. He swore at the woman and said that the police couldn't touch him, since he worked in law enforcement. I'm sorry but in most countries that kind of disordely behaviour is a criminal offence and he's pretty lucky he got away without anything more than a cancellation of his membership and an end to his billing. It pretty obvious that he's trying to get attention and maybe even some money out of this.

<div>
(Franko @ Feb. 28 2007,2:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The alarm is a great idea!  

I decided to talk to my gym about setting up an alarm too.  I want it to go off whenever people are doing curls in the squat rack.  
mad.gif

mad.gif
</div>Hey! I do curls in the squat rack!! Mostly because that's the only place not occupied by teenagers admiring their reflections in the mirror, doing... curls.  
tounge.gif

Hm, the squat rack has a mirror in the mounted at the wall behind it... Maybe I should start admiring my own image doing curls, yeah! But no grunting, no no. That would be rude. Maybe an alarm would go off.  
blush.gif

Some degree of noise has to be expected when pushing your limits, even by a 6' 80lb guy curling a couple of lbs. Some guys can be assholes and overdo it, but most are just psyching themselves up, aren't they, and are not trying to intimidate anyone else.

I really can't believe they've banned all those lifts. If that's what they really believe then you wouldn't want to hire one of their trainers as they obviously know jack about fitness/muscle etc. **** you can do yourself a life threating injury if you scratch your *** the wrong way. Is scratching banned also?

That line about &quot;tampon tuesday&quot; classic!!

Basically the problem is that these type of places are going way out of their way to cater to everyone. The good thing is that they're cheap. I go to Cardio Express and it's only $20 a month. There's really nothing else around my house, and I've yet to see a serious gym around here that has more freeweights then cardio machines.

Just the other day on Howard Stern's show they were reading a survey about what some people hate about the gym.

Can't remember the order but here's some of the stuff on it.

- excessive grunting
- offensive nakedness in the locker rooms (lol, it was something about people walking around naked and taking too long of a time to put their clothes on )
- wearing too little clothing while working out
-not wiping down equipment after sweating heavily on it

I don't care if you work out naked, but DO NOT leave your nasty sweat all over the bench! Also, if ya have to spit, do it in the bathroom please. I don't like to listen to you semi-hurl in the trashcan because you can't handle your 30 rep leg press.

Back