Dave's First HST Cycle

DWhite2741

Hi everyone! I'm actually in the middle of my 15s but I will go ahead and start from here so I can keep a log.

I just took some extra days off due to some over-training symptoms I had from additional lifting. It seems that being in an actual gym instead of working out at home gave me the urge to show off and obviously my CNS wasn't happy. I did get a new dead lift record out of it though.

Anyways tonight I'm going to the gym and I will be doing some real light work with the 15s.

Full Squats: 185 x 15 x 1

Barbell Bent Over Rows: 95 x 15 x 1

Military Press: 80 x 15 x 1

I don't want to be too hard on my body so I'm going to stick with that just so I don't throw myself off again. I am going to be training two other people tonight as well who just got into lifting and are friends of mine. I might edit this post a little when I get back from the gym. See you later everyone!

Well I'm back home now. I got to wear my new sleeveless shirt today which was cool. The workout went pretty smooth if I say so for myself. My buddies are learning a little more about compound workouts it seems. There was this one guy at the gym that kept grunting really loud like he was having sex with his dumbbells. It was hard not to laugh. It made the guy just seems like a rude ******* because nobody wants to hear that ****. Anyways take care!

Looks good. As you do more cycles, you'll definitely want to add more exercises.

They were bent over barbell rows. I edited my original post to try and rid of the confusion. Anyways I'm not sure what exactly I would add to my workout. I usually stick with the compounds like bench press, dead lift, bent over barbell rows, military press, and squat. Maybe I could add in some isolation work that I do after my compounds are out of the way. Any suggestions?

Isolations would be used for specialization, for example:

Forearms - Wrist Curls, Farmer's Walk
Triceps - Skullcrushers, Pushdowns
Delts - Lat Raises
Calves - Raises
Biceps - Curls

IMO, isolations are okay and are filler at best. For the first time, I will try to advertise a hybrid exercise that I created called the Reverse Curl Cuban Press. I used for extra specialization on my forearms (for grip strength), rotator cuff (for bench press improvement), and as a shoulder press exercise.

You start off with an EZ-Curl bar at rest, and raise up like you are doing a reverse curl. At the top of the ROM, press the bar over your head (but not behind your neck), Rotate the bar downward until your upper arm is parallel with your shoulders, aka elbows at 90 degrees. At this point, you lower the bar in front of you all the while keeping your upper arms, elbows, and shoulders in the same position. Lower back to starting position for a complete rep.

Check this out: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Cuban+Press

That's a link for Cuban Press. I am sure you know how to do a Reverse Curl.

I call em RCCP's!
biggrin.gif

I didn't post this yesterday so I am going to post what I did now.

Bench Press: 150 x 15 x 1

Dead Lift: 185 x 15 x 1

It seems that I have gained a lot more endurance from doing the 15s.

Just finished my second to last workout of the 15s. Here is what I did:

Full Squats: 195 x 15 x 1

Bent Over Barbell Rows: 100 x 15 x 1

Military Press: 85 x 15 x 1

The squats gave me some trouble though. I figured it might have had something to do with being tired and low on energy. I didn't get to complete it as smoothly as I wanted so I had to split up the reps between a few rest periods. I probably could have done it all in 15 reps but mentally I was probably holding myself back. I probably just had a bad day for squats.

<div>
(quadancer @ Dec. 27 2007,06:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A &quot;bad&quot; workout is always better than NO workout. You'll come back.</div>
A bad day in the gym is better than a good day at work...

I wasn't able to post my workout from a few days ago. Here is what I did:

Bench Press: 160 x 15 x 1

Dead Lift: 195 x 15 x 1

It actually felt fairly easy to do. I feel like I have a lot more endurance for higher rep work. Anyways happy new year everyone!

welcome to the family dwhite2741,
pretty amazing poundages u got there
(to me at least), u're doing 15's with my 5s
for squats lol....
biggrin.gif

well, e 15s are there for a reason so dun
just go through e motion. hope u gain some weight
at e end of it.

Thanks hotterdog! Yeah I am around 193 pounds or so right now. It is a major difference considering at one time I was only 115 pounds after starving at 16 in another state. I hope that being as young as I am right now I can see a lot more results and progression in my later years. Lifting is something I seem to be driven to and I don't think I would give it up. Just like a long time ago I thought that dead lifting 250 pounds was such a good amount for me a few years ago. Now my dead lift is in the 400s.

I just got done with my first workout of the 10s today. Here is what I did:

Full Squats: 175 x 10 x 2

Standing Military Press: 80 x 10 x 2

Bent Over Barbell Rows: 95 x 10 x 2

I felt like I got a good workout on my muscles today. I screwed up on one of my military presses due to the fact that I didn't touch my chest so I did an extra rep and I felt satisfied. The rows feel really light though and it's making me think I should probably have started with a higher amount to work up with this cycle. I love the extra endurance I have gained without even finnishing my first cycle yet. I actually have been thinking of adding dips on the days I do my full squats and pull-ups on the day I do my bench press. My girlfriend bought me a pull-up bar but I need the tools in order to put it up but I can allways use my bar on the rack for pull-ups untill then.

I figured out that the reason I had a bad day on my last 15 rep workout on the squats. I was supposed to use 185 instead of 195 so I basicly jumped up 20 pounds on accident. No big deal though I got through it.

Good work Dave!! In reference to your squats, at least it was more weight! It looks like your off to a good start. Keep up the good work.

I just finnished my workout. Here is what I did today:

Bench Press: 150 x 10 x 2

Dead Lift: 185 x 10 x 2

It was very simple and brief. Although for some reason I felt a tight feeling in my back. I did attempt to add pull-ups into my workout today but I think my rack doesn't go high enough for me to do them correctly. It did take away the tight feeling in my back though. I got some tools recently to put my pull-up bar up. I plan on adding pull-ups and dips later on. Possibly sooner or in my next cycle. My girlfriend got me some whey protien so I'm going to use the **** out of that. Two times a day probably and a post-workout shake.

Recent research has shown an advantage to having proteins in the body prior to the workout, so if you haven't eaten proteins in the 2-3 hours before, you might start sipping the shake 1/2 hour before the workout and through it; that's how I do it, along with 100g maltodextrin and dextrose in it.

As quad said, it is highly recommended that you have a preworkout shake. If you plan on using whey three times a day, you'd be best served using it pre and post workout, and then having another one at some point during the day if you need to hit your protein goals. If you don't need it to hit your protein goal for the day, then I would save it - whey isn't that cheap anymore, after all.

Pre &amp; Post workout protein intake is vital to your success no matter if you are cutting or bulking. I usually have a light protein carb snack before I workout. I then sip through a protein shake during my workout, and get some more protein after my workout - and this is all during a cut. Concentrate most of your calories around your workout.

I know. I did intend on having a pre-workout shake. I had to end up going to Walmart to get my medication though. It's ok though because I had some KFC a little bit before my workout so I'm sure I was fine. On my workout days I do intend on useing my two daily shakes possibly 30 minutes or so before my workout and one right after I finnish.

One option Dan mentioned in a discussion over whey/casein proteins was skim milk powder being still cheap. Not a available as whey (*I think cow's milk was like 80%casein, and human milk 50/50) but outside of the workout itself it would be some money saved when money is an issue. My present supps are running about $10/day...steroids might be cheaper!
wow.gif

Back