I'm an old man and HST is wearing me out

Thanks everyone for the ongoing advice. I am in the middle of the 5's right now and doing better. But my knees are still not happy. I think I will take people's advice and cut down on the amount of squatting. I could just cut out some of the squat workouts, but I'd prefer alternating with another leg exercise that doesn't hit my knees as hard. Any ideas? Leg press? I haven't done the leg press for years, but that doesn't seem like it'd be very easy on my knees either. I guess alternating with the deadlift like SDR and Kevan67 are http://thinkmuscle.com/forum/member.php?66958-Kevan67doing would be another option.

Last edited:
It's nice to read what you young guys are doing. You often serve as my encouragement.

I've never had knee problems, though some friends of mine have. Rather I've had to have both back and shoulder surgery. Deadlifts have proven to be an effective rehab for my back, but nothing I've tried so far has been much help for my shoulder. I find that my shoulder is still limited in both range of motion and in strength.

HST has been a real life-saver for me. The principle of working out with submaximal weights for most of a cycle has allowed me to continue lifting long after my friends have had to bail out.

With regard to working out only twice a week: Dan Moore has written that two workouts per week can be as effective, or nearly so, as three per week.

Thanks everyone for the ongoing advice. I am in the middle of the 5's right now and doing better. But my knees are still not happy. I think I will take people's advice and cut down on the amount of squatting. I could just cut out some of the squat workouts, but I'd prefer alternating with another leg exercise that doesn't hit my knees as hard. Any ideas? Leg press? I haven't done the leg press for years, but that doesn't seem like it'd be very easy on my knees either. I guess alternating with the deadlift like SDR and Kevan67 are http://thinkmuscle.com/forum/member.php?66958-Kevan67doing would be another option.

Leg press bothers my knees which is why I dropped it. Squatting does too if my form isn't spot on, which is why I am a huge form-nazi with squats. Try varying your foot angle and the angle your knees bend when squatting and see if that makes any difference. I would also alternate with deadlifts as you are considering.

I take plenty of fish oil per day, upward of 6-12 caps per day split into 3 or 4 doses and taken with a meal, then compliment that with glucosamine and that seems to make my joints feel a heck of a lot better.

Solid
Keep at it, as Totentanz has pointed out form is everything with Squat's if you are doing them right you should get very little pain in your knees. Your quads and hamstrings yes but not your knees. I find doing front Squats helps my form and also scissor squats / Lunges help warm me up and stretch my hamstrings might be worth a try.

TunnelRat

check out the following thread should be good for your shoulder

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ce_repair/cracking_the_rotator_cuff_conundrum

Kev

TunnelRat

check out the following thread should be good for your shoulder

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online..._repair/cracking_the_rotator_cuff_conundrum
Yes, thank you. I am familiar with the Cressey article. I do his recommended shoulder exercises in the evening of my workout days.

Although it has been helpful, I remain limited by my wonky shoulder. My weak rotator cuff muscles have severely curtailed what I am I able to do with my bench press, as well as any overhead lift.

Last edited:
I see Totentanz and others have already given ideal advice. I just wanted to offer a couple suggestions being in the over-40 crowd myself. I've now been lifting steadily for over 30 years (yes I know, who in their right mind would let their kid start that young but it was just something I took to...).

So here are some lessons I've learned that have allowed me to work around sensitive joints.

1) Warm up. I don't just mean do a set or two with half the weight of your work sets, I mean do several lighter sets until whatever pain you are feeling has subsided. If it doesn't subside, you don't do that movement that day.

2) Larger increments. Make the lighter sets work by drawing them out with more reps and/or slower tempo. Basically use the higher rep days to rehabilitate your joints each cycle.

3) Alternate movements that aggrevate with those that don't. For example, lying tricep extensions bother my elbows but push downs don't. I alternate tri extensions with push downs every other workout and am able to keep my elbows quite until well into the 5s. Do the same with movements that bother the knees.

4) Use strategic deconditioning to allow some healing time. Pretty straight forward here...take the time off, let the joints settle down and then be smart when you start your next cycle.

These are just some things that have worked for me over the years.

That's all great advice Bryan! I've used those techniques myself with great success. Number 3 is new to me though and I plan to implement it immediately. I have exactly the same problem with lying triceps extensions.

Leg press bothers my knees which is why I dropped it. Squatting does too if my form isn't spot on, which is why I am a huge form-nazi with squats. Try varying your foot angle and the angle your knees bend when squatting and see if that makes any difference. I would also alternate with deadlifts as you are considering.

I take plenty of fish oil per day, upward of 6-12 caps per day split into 3 or 4 doses and taken with a meal, then compliment that with glucosamine and that seems to make my joints feel a heck of a lot better.

I want to piggy back on what Tots has said here.
Even though I'm a 'yung feller', I've noticed pain in my right knee on squats when my form isn't spot on and/or I'm not properly warmed up.

The best trick I've learned to make sure I'm not bringing my knees too far forward is to lift and hold my big toes up while I'm squatting - I hold them up elevated like that during the entire set and don't lower them until I'm done and stepping back to the rack. It was a little weird at first, but now that I've gotten used to it, it's automatic. This keeps the weight on my heels without me having to think about it.

Have you considered doing your exercises in only the pain-free range? After this range is found, progressively increase the range of motion over time. This worked well with patients and myself.

For the squat, I found that some had problems due to overpronation of the ankle/foot complex that seemed to produce shearing effects on the knee. It is interesting to watch how in some cases the knee shifts laterally during the execution of the squat. Check your motion in a full length mirror straight on and see if the lower limb movement is symmetrical in descent and ascent.

I would also suggest concentrating on a slight outward push of the knees on the ascent/push of the squat. This will help with any inward buckling that might occur.

I am just finishing the 3rd week of HST. I like it, but I am getting some overuse joint pain. Things like tendinitis. I am wondering how I should proceed.

I am 45 years old and have been lifting regularly for the last 5 years. I consider myself an intermediate lifter. I have done a variety of programs, usually focusing on strength. Most recently I did the 5-3-1 program for about a year. This spring I lost about 15 pounds. Most of what I lost was fat, but I also lost some strength. I think my size is limiting my strength, so I decided to gain some weight this fall and winter with the ultimate goal of putting up bigger numbers.

I usually take quite a few days off between workouts. For example, I will only squat once per week. The volume with this routine is more than I am used to. I suspect my age may be my biggest problem. So I am wondering how to proceed. Normally I would just take a few days off, but workout frequency seems to be one of the most important parts of the HST program.

I currently am doing 2 sets of these exercises: Squat, Shrug, Bench press, Row, JM press, Curl. One thing I may try is cutting down my sets from 2 to 1.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks

Because your body is only used to working out 1 muscle group per week it will take some time to get used to. I too only worked out each muscle group 1 time per week other than some workouts that will hit other muscles as secondary muscles. I suggest powering though the soreness and of course if the pain is sharp and seems to be more than normal post trauma muscle soreness take some time off.

Hi,
you are too much aged in respect of weight losing.. so be conscious when you chose any weighting losing program..
I recommend you just little bit exercise..

Back