Training Superman

robefc

I've just seen an interview with Brandon Routh, the new superman, and he says he put on 22lbs of muscle. I then saw an interview with his personal trainer who said he was given 5 weeks to transform his body and they started off by reducing bodyfat.

OK so the figures may not be accurately measured bodybuilding style but it seems Brandon managed to gain 22lbs of muscle in 5 weeks whilst losing fat....WTF?!

Does it annoy anyone else that whenever a hollywood star needs to be buffed up for a film they seem to be able to both get a lot bigger, and lose fat and do it very quickly?

What are we missing out on that they know?! So frustrating!!

Incidentally, been to see it twice, awesome film.

Cheers

Rob

You mean like Church who was supposedly to gain 100 pounds of muscle?

I just don't buy any of that. Exaggeration. Impossible to gain 22 pounds of muscle in a month. Hell, even 22 pounds (muscle and fat) is hard enough, that's more than 4 pounds a week. Unless you just want to get pure fat, I guess 22 is not so hard (stay in the couch, eat McDonalds happy meal 7 times a day... don't lift weights or cardo... there you go).

As far as I'm concerned, all that is part of hyping up the film or the star or the hollywood trainer.

not only that, but most hollywood stars who are required to put on a lot of muscle for a role, turn to the best steroids available...money can buy muscles to a certain degree.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jul. 27 2006,22:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">not only that, but most hollywood stars who are required to put on a lot of muscle for a role, turn to the best steroids available...money can buy muscles to a certain degree.</div>
That would make a lot of sense then.

Considering he's put on 22lb of muscle, he's not thattt big. Well, I didn't think so.

Don't they say that the average person will gain 1lb of muscle per month given they eat an extra 500 calories per day?

<div>
(robefc @ Jul. 27 2006,22:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've just seen an interview with Brandon Routh, the new superman, and he says he put on 22lbs of muscle. I then saw an interview with his personal trainer who said he was given 5 weeks to transform his body and they started off by reducing bodyfat.

OK so the figures may not be accurately measured bodybuilding style but it seems Brandon managed to gain 22lbs of muscle in 5 weeks whilst losing fat....WTF?!

Does it annoy anyone else that whenever a hollywood star needs to be buffed up for a film they seem to be able to both get a lot bigger, and lose fat and do it very quickly?

What are we missing out on that they know?! So frustrating!!

Incidentally, been to see it twice, awesome film.

Cheers

Rob</div>
I think you meant 5 months, not 5 weeks.

http://actionfilmscomedies.suite101.com/article....uperman ----

&quot;I lifted even heavier weights. I trained myself first so that I would be able to lift heavy and put on more weight. At the end of five months I put on about 22 pounds of muscle. I think I did well and there was a dramatic difference and I was really proud of it.”

Ah - his trainer definitely said 5 weeks in an interview but presumably made a mistake, 5 months seems much more realistic!

It's also interested that he said he worked out 6 times a week for the duration.

He doesn't look that big but he was supposedly very lean to begin with and is 6'4'' so I could imagine he is 22lbs bigger than he was before.

I don't think it's exaggeration, call me naive but the bloke seems like a nice genuine guy who wouldn't lie (after all he is superman!!)
biggrin.gif

I think 1lb a week is reasonable with a 500 calorie surplus although I could be wrong, so that would be consistent with what routh reports, although the lack of fat gain still annoys me, maybe he just has good genetics.

Church??

Cheers

Rob

22 lbs in five months is believable. Obviously he was a total noob when he started, since he's still basically a twig, so amazing gains can be expected at first.

<div>
(style @ Jul. 28 2006,05:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You can gain a lot more than 1 pound in a month. Who are 'they' - que creepy music......</div>
Haha, reminds me of Pulp Fiction.

&quot;Who said that.&quot;
- &quot;They did.&quot;
&quot;They talk alot don't they.&quot;
- &quot;They certainly do, they certainly do.&quot;

Haha, anyway. I read it in a general fitness magazine. It said that eating an extra 500 calories per day, and a good exercise routine can help you gain 1lb a month. =| That's about the same as my gains...
rock.gif

You can easily* gain a pound a week if you eat 500 cals or more over maintenance a day. If you are training some of it will be muscle and if you are just watching telly it'll be fat. I reckon a pound a week is a good goal to see if your eating is on target. Assuming your training is up to scratch and you find you are gaining too much fat, lower the calories a bit on non-training days first.

* I say easily but it's actually quite hard to eat enough if you are an active person. This is often the reason why slow or no progress is made.

Well, changing WEEKS to MONTHS is a big deal.

Yeah, for a noob (who said he was really lean - &quot;twig&quot;), then yeah, 22 pounds in five months is believable.

5 weeks is just crazy
wow.gif
but 5 months, that's cool
cool.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
I don't think it's exaggeration, call me naive but the bloke seems like a nice genuine guy who wouldn't lie (after all he is superman!!)
biggrin.gif

</div>
Yeah, I'm sure Supes wouldn't lie to us
biggrin.gif
but then again, I was misinformed when I gave my opinion - 22 pounds in 5 weeks is exaggeration, 5 months is a different kettle of fish.
biggrin.gif

Regards,
-JV

<div>
(jvroig @ Jul. 28 2006,15:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well, changing WEEKS to MONTHS is a big deal.

Yeah, I'm sure Supes wouldn't lie to us
biggrin.gif
but then again, I was misinformed when I gave my opinion - 22 pounds in 5 weeks is exaggeration, 5 months is a different kettle of fish.
biggrin.gif

Regards,
-JV</div>
Don't blame me, it was his fitness trainer that said it!!

Besides which, given your ataver, I'm worried you have a conflict of interest in this post!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Totentanz - 'still basically a twig' - a tad harsh on supes there don't you think?!

Cheers

Rob

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Besides which, given your ataver, I'm worried you have a conflict of interest in this post!</div>
biggrin.gif
I'm sure I would have kicked his butt!
biggrin.gif
just kidding
biggrin.gif

Hey dude, not blaming you. Just wanted to be sure no one's gonna come here accusing me of being too harsh or doubtful of people who gain lots of muscle without HST. I thought (yep, due to trainer's blooper) 5 weeks, and that was crazy. But 5 months is ok.

I'm pretty sure ol' Supes wasn't a twig. If he wore a t-shirt that had sleeves hugging the tris/biceps, then he would have looked ok. The problem with the Superman outfit is that it's just basically a big piece of blue... to make that look awesome muscularly, you'd have to be like Lou Ferrigno (did I spell his name right?) because it's rather unflattering, especially to the arms, makes it look a lot less impressive.

My comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Yeah, looking good in that kind of blue would be hard, unless the costume people airbrushed some definition into it.

Simple as Tot said most of these girly men are noobs....they have never touched a weight in there life.

So put them with great trainers, chef and nutritionist plus all the free time to workout and rest plus supplements and yes prob Steroids too and well....hell yeah they have great gains.

Just most of them being noobs and starting any kind of intense training would show results then add into the mix a great nutrition program and you would have great results.

The first time I started working out serioulsy was at 18 yrs old. I started lifting and eating a lot and taking creatine. Never missed a supplement or a workout and I gained from 155 to 185 in 3 months...mainly b/c of 3 reasons.

I was a noob
I was dedicated
and I eat a ton of food (even though it was crap)

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jul. 29 2006,02:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.  Yeah, looking good in that kind of blue would be hard, unless the costume people airbrushed some definition into it.</div>
Yup, typical movie having to &quot;shade&quot; areas to make them look more defined - you just cant get the muscularity these days.

<div>
(NeeBone @ Jul. 29 2006,23:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Totentanz @ Jul. 29 2006,02:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Yeah, looking good in that kind of blue would be hard, unless the costume people airbrushed some definition into it.</div>
Yup, typical movie having to &quot;shade&quot; areas to make them look more defined - you just cant get the muscularity these days.</div>
Maybe they should start looking around these boards when looking for an actor for an action hero role!
biggrin.gif

Seriously. You don't see many superheroes who are actually built like a superhero. I guess Shaq as Steel came somewhat close, but Shaq is just tall as hell, he's not really of bodybuilder proportions. I understand that some heroes, like Spiderman for instance, aren't supposed to be huge. But Superman is always shown with huge rippling muscles...
Maybe it's just because most bodybuilders (with the exception of maybe Arnold or Lou) can't act worth a crap.

Back