Deadlift seems good for sciatica, no?
Yeah, deadlifts and squats in gerneral make it feel better, can’t get to the gym until Monday though.

Just a pain in the arse (literally) and just having aches and pains in general this close to comp i frustrating, more mentally than physically. Hoping that come comp day after a taper week all these pains are gone.

Body is broken! Woke up feeling very sore/stiff and sciatic pain was playing up! Really hoping the drop in volume during my peak fixes all this pains and on comp day I wont feel like ive been hit by a truck! 3 Weeks to go, and confidence is :(

Squats
190kg x2x2 @8-9
180kg x2x2 @8

Bench
145kg x1 (good news is that this moved really nicely and will most likely be my openner)
120kg x6x3

Seated Row
93kg x5x5

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgxtBzjhza5/?taken-by=moose_lifts

skipped training this morning. Back was just too painful!

Will get it moving in the day as much as I can and do some rehab type stuff tonight and hopefully it will be better tomorrow

This mornings pain = meh!

Got to the gym walked in the treadmill for 10 minutes, did McGills big 3 then stretched out my low back and glute/piriformis quite a lot and felt a lot better, pain was still there but it was manageable

Worked my way up to my planned working singles which was 4x1 @90% and got there pain free, However with the extra warm up sets I think the speed of my top singles suffered as a result. But the good news is that it was pain free and as I am sat here writing this, although it is tight It is pain free. Going to make sure I keep mobile today

Deadlifts
235kg x1x4 @8-9

Bench Press
135kg x4x4 @8-9

Back/Glute/Sciatica pain was a lot less than yesterday morning when I woke up, although still very noticeable first thing.

1o minute walk on the treadmill, Big 3 and LOTS of glute/piriformis stretching before my session seems to do the trick. Also included more warm up sets on the way to my working sets, then keep moving through the day seems to be key.

17 Days till comp;

Squats
180kg x4 @9
170kg x4x3 @7-8

Close Grip Bench
120kg x5 @8.5
115kg x5x4 @7

close grip pull down
4 sets of 80 at 70kg

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg5gKMIh0Kp/?taken-by=moose_lifts

Comp bench
142.5kg x2x4 @8

Slingshot Bench
160kg x2
165kg x2
170kg x2 PR @9

Deficit deadlift
210kg x2x4 @7-8

BW chin ups
4x6

Withdrawn?
No, just havent got round to updating this log. Took the week off work last week and left me laptop at work so I wasnt tempted to do any work from home.

Although back is still giving me a bit of jip it should be ok to get me through 9 lifts on a platform.

Last edited:
Quick update,

Last week I cut a lot of volume from my peak. Basically my back was pretty beat up, and was feeling just overly fatigued. Here was last weeks work;

Mon 2nd Apr

Squat w/belt
190 x1 @8
195 x1 @8
185 x2x2 @7.5-8

Comp Bench
150 x1 @8
125 x5x3 @7.5

Wed 4th Apr
This day my back was really painful, and felt like a trapped nerve in my right hip, just couldnt get anything moving and was painful just setting up for deadlifts.

Deadlift
220 x1
230 x1 decided to cut deadlifts here. Had planned on 4 singles at 240

Bench
137.5 x3x3 @8-9

Friday 6th Apr

Squat w/belt
185 x3x3 @8-9

Comp Bench
155 x1 @9
140 x2x3 @7-8

Slingshot Bench
180 [email protected]
165 x2x2 @7.5

Now 6 days out from Comp. Will be doing my openers tonight, then 3x3 @ about 70% on squats and bench wednesday and that will be it until comp day.

Planned openers;

Squat - 192.5
Bench - 142.5
Deadlift - 230

Being a bit safe with squat and deadlift due to the injury/pain I have been trying to manage last few weeks.

@Jester what does the massthetics method look like if you dont mind me asking? thinking of giving it a whirl after this weekend?

There’s actually a 4 part YouTube series on their channel about it.

In a nutshell, it’s;

Lower ME
Upper ME

Lower DE/volume
Upper DE/volume

And Garrett used to add a day for back work: presumably mostly pulling without a significant lower back stressor.

For my $$, part of what makes it effective from a strength point of view is that it’s ‘speed’ work is done at a higher intensity - if you watch the series, I’m referring to the ‘waves’.

Simon has also said that they frequently program volume for the big three as one of their accessory lifts, so they’re never really losing that form connection.

The other thing about conjugate is you’re never leaving anything on the table in terms of coverage given the exercise spread.

Openers done last night;

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhXHKuDBSfz/?taken-by=moose_lifts

Squat 192.5kg @7.5
Bench 142.5kg @7
Deadlift 230kg @7

Hip still felt weird on this like a trapped nerve type feeling, but back pain was minimal and feel ok this morning.

Planned attempts for Sunday are

Squat
1. 192.5
2. 205
3. 210-215

Bench
1. 142.5
2. 152.5
3. 157.5-160

Deadlift
1. 230
2. 242.5
3. 255-260

Looks good, and sounds a lot like a piriformis or even adductor issue, especially if squats are more affected than deadlifts.

Thanks for the layout of massthetics @Jester

I think your right. I have been trying to stretch out my piriformis a lot, and it does help slightly, im no physio but I think my pirformis is tight/or spasming and putting pressure on my sciatic nerve. I dont think its anything major, might see a physio after comp if its still playing up. Will spend the next few days leading up to comp doing the big three every day, and really try and stretch out my piriformis, IT band and adductors.

Yeah I was pleased with how that deadlift moved, definitely no more than a 7 maybe even a 6.5 RPE. If im feeling fresh come comp day might bump each deadlift attempt up 5kg.

Back