Cutting with HST

Roughly speaking in absolute terms;

Bench; 110 - 120kgs

Deadlift; 180 - 200kgs

Squat; 120 - 140kgs

Jester,

Should I consider this status individually per group/exercise or as an overall status?

For instance, in the Bench I'm getting closer to the limit at a 1RM of 97kg. In the deadlift I'm a complete novice @ 106kg for 1RM. Should I train bench press as an intermediate (soon) and DL as a beginner? Or am I an overall beginner and should train everything as one?

A million times this.

Targeted/specific caffeine dosing assists performance greatly during a cut as well.

I love coffee.

Regular caffeine (as found in coffee) can do the trick or do I need to take anhydrous caffeine (from supplements)?

Leo

If you maintain your weight then you aren't cutting ... you know this, right?

Cut on carbs if you want to. I don't - it leaves me too hungry and a growling stomach. It also gives too great a fluctuation in blood glucose for me.

Not to mention that being honest with carb intake is a trap that about 9 out of 10 can't outsmart.

Again ... do what works for you. IF CBL Magical Fairy Dust diets aren't working for @charr. This is obvious. Try something with thousands of positive case studies instead - RFL.

My point is, that I am trying to BULK now...not cut... Not maintain. I am on day 6 at 3000cal doing CBL and I haven't gained any weight so far... Which tells me my maintenance cal intake is at least 3000,which I find very hard to believe at 155lbs. OR, that CBL is doing exactly has its prescribed to do.... For me anyways.
I'm thinking about upping my calories yet again if there is no gain by the weekend... 3300 to 3500.
That's almost 1000cal more than I've been suggested my maintenance is at.

Tangent - might be worth contemplating that you stop putting "Lol" in every comment - you come off resembling Miley Cyrus. Just a thought.

I was using LOL so you knew I was joking, and not coming off as an asshole... But whatever.

Jester,

Should I consider this status individually per group/exercise or as an overall status?

For instance, in the Bench I'm getting closer to the limit at a 1RM of 97kg. In the deadlift I'm a complete novice @ 106kg for 1RM. Should I train bench press as an intermediate (soon) and DL as a beginner? Or am I an overall beginner and should train everything as one?

I love coffee.

Regular caffeine (as found in coffee) can do the trick or do I need to take anhydrous caffeine (from supplements)?

Leo

Newbie gains are not systemic. If you haven't trained a particular bodypart effectively, then those gains are just waiting to be had. You see this frequently when bro-split devotees suddenly learn how to train properly and start deadlifting, squatting etc. and all of a sudden their quads explode, hamstrings appear overnight and so on.

Or when someone moves from a split routine to a classic set up and the increased frequency alone is enough to generate a bunch of gains.

Do carbs really have any baring on losing weight? I've seen people here say that it's only calories that matter.

If the same person was dieting on 2000 cals a day but one was eating 250g of carbs p/day and the other say 100g. Are results the same?

Assuming that the protein is increased rather than the fat then the body requires more energy to digest protein than carbs. Also protein leaves you feeling fuller for longer than carbs. So in theory there would be a slight increase in weight loss but assuming calories remained the same then it would be minimal.

Don't be misled by "more energy" to digest protien guys...
All that means is it takes longer to digest, which may help with dieting... Or it may not.
Carbs while dieting more than likely has a baring on weight loss when it comes to the general population, or teenage girls. But we are athletes seeking muscle growth and displaying our hard earned efforts. Carbs are just as important as any other macro, and with protien, we need plenty of both!
Have a look at my macros in my log.

True Mick but you may have better muscle retention substituting more protein for carbs.

I've seen people here say that it's only calories that matter.

That is nonsense. Consider a diet of only simple carbs and what you'r body would like versus a well balanced diet heavy in protein and good fats. Same calories but big difference in how you would look.

True Mick but you may have better muscle retention substituting more protein for carbs

O&G that is why I keep protein at a minimum of 1.5g per lb of bodyweight and increase to around 2g when cutting, a bit over the top but it keeps hunger at bay.

edit: or were you referring to the term 'weight loss' when you said better muscle retention, if so maybe I should have said 'fat loss'

Sorry O&G I should have been clearer. I know protein is important for dieting. But I mean I have seen posts here that say only calories matter when it comes to the type of foods eaten.

But assuming I start with 2000 calories. I prioritize protein first. What I'm trying to get at is for the remaining calories is there really any reason why higher carbs leads to less fat loss? For instance once protein has been taken care of out of the remaining 2000 cals is there any difference between 50g of fat and 200+ carbs compared with 80g fat and much less carbs ? There seems to be popular opinion that low carbs leads to fat loss. Is this fact?

Last edited:
low carbs leads to weight loss, fatigue, motivational issues, loss of strength... Lol
But it leads to weight loss!

Understandably... Fat loss without weight loss is the holy grail you might say. Lots of protein will help you achieve that, but without carbs/energy to work your skeletal musculature hard enough while in a deficit will also cause lean mass loss....
My thoughts

Understandably... Fat loss without weight loss is the holy grail you might say. Lots of protein will help you achieve that, but without carbs/energy to work your skeletal musculature hard enough while in a deficit will also cause lean mass loss....
My thoughts

You can workaround this by saving your carbs to use them next your workout. I train at 6pm and usually keep intake at minimum so one hour before training I take 30g or 40g of Maltodextrin. After training I'll take some more carbs to help compensation.

Or you could just not be a wuss and man through it. I've done 5 RM workouts on close to zero carbs. It just takes willpower and replacing your vagina with a scrotum.

Yes, scientific studies have proved beyond a doubt that it is easier to lift under difficult conditions with a scrotum. ;)

Don't be misled by "more energy" to digest protien guys...
All that means is it takes longer to digest, which may help with dieting... Or it may not.
Carbs while dieting more than likely has a baring on weight loss when it comes to the general population, or teenage girls. But we are athletes seeking muscle growth and displaying our hard earned efforts. Carbs are just as important as any other macro, and with protien, we need plenty of both!
Have a look at my macros in my log.

I'm not really sure you grasp the way protein is digested and what we mean when we talk about its thermic effect while dieting. The reason protein helps with dieting isn't the fact that it takes longer to digest. Yes, taking longer to digest is good because it helps with feeling fuller for longer, so you aren't as hungry as you would feel on the exact same amount of calories from sugars. But the simple fact is, you get less energy out of protein than you do carbs. The quoted 4 calories per gram rule isn't entirely accurate for carbs and protein. Since the body basically runs on sugar, carbs only need to be broken down into simpler forms in order to be used for energy, whereas protein can only be used for energy after it has been broken down into amino acids then converted to glucose through gluconeogenesis, which only occurs in specific organs, so needless to say it is horribly inefficient for getting actual energy from. Obviously the body needs amino acids (the building blocks of protein) for a variety of other tasks besides making glucose, so that is going to be it's preferred usage. This is why a diet higher in protein and lower in carbs tends to create a larger deficit and more weight loss.

Edit: I'm quite obviously simplifying this greatly since I don't really feel the need to give lessons on basic human physiology but I'm sure you get the point. I would encourage you to do some reading on your own about this kind of thing. And by reading, I mean reading actual scientific literature, not fitness books that don't cite their sources accurately.

So if i'm choosing 2000 cals for my diet.

At 200lb I have protein at 200g - (800 calories) for the remaining calories I have been using around 210g of carbs and about 45g of fat.

Would there be any difference in me using say 100g of carbs and 95g of fat for fatloss? Or should both diets be the same? (calories are equal)

Why is it people go on low carb diets for fatloss?

I would up your protein to 300g during a cut. fats at 25% (500 cals at 55g) the rest in carbs, I know that only leaves you with 75g but I think protein is the most important macro during a cut. You could reduce fat to 20% as you proposed and this will increase carbs to 100g

See Totz post #337 for basic description of how carbs and protein are processed by the body.

Last edited:
Thanks Mick. I need to make some changes I guess.

Another week down and I haven't lost anything. I'm going to have next week off training and dieting then I'm going to do two weeks training at maintenance then back to the cut. Will be getting some bloodwork done also

Back