Cutting with HST

Charr, this may just be nomenclature but I am not sure what you mean by training at maintenance but I assume you mean maintaining calories. You should never train (workout) to maintain. It is a waste of time. Workout to grow, not maintain, even if you are working out at maintenance calorie consumption.

At your age, get a full hormonal blood workup, not just T. Insulin sensitivity, thyroid output, adrenal gland activity, etc. can all be contributing factors that may affect your results that are easily adjusted with diet and/or medication. Also have your lipid levels checked so you don't get on a diet that may be harmful to your overall health. Once you have that info, you are then ready to design a program for maximum results. Right now, none of us can really steer you in the right direction except based on average generalizations and we all know that averages do not appear in real life, e. g., "the average family has 2.2 children". The blood work can be a few hundred dollars if you have no insurance but could save you years of frustration in the gym.

Hi O&G. I mean't eating at maintenance calories. I will train to grow over the 2 weeks maintenance. I think it was in Totentanz's book to eat two weeks at maintenance calories if weightloss stalls. I live in the UK O&G so hopefully they do all hormone tests etc at the docs here.

What do you guys think of IIFYM style dieting? That is what I have been following

I have been eating at maintenance calories for about 2 weeks now. My calories have been 2800 which according to IIFYM calculator is maintenance for training 5 days per week (I run 1 mile on Tues and Thurs).

The thing is at these calories my weight has stayed the same so I must be in and around maintenance. So I can't understand why dropping to 2000 cals I don't lose weight.

My weight stays the same at 2800 cals per day as it does at 2000 cals per day.

Last edited:
I have been eating at maintenance calories for about 2 weeks now. My calories have been 2800 which according to IIFYM calculator is maintenance for training 5 days per week (I run 1 mile on Tues and Thurs).

The thing is at these calories my weight has stayed the same so I must be in and around maintenance. So I can't understand why dropping to 2000 cals I don't lose weight.

My weight stays the same at 2800 cals per day as it does at 2000 cals per day.

What did you blood test say about testosterone, cortisol and thyroid hormones?

I'm booked in to the doctor on Tues. It will probably take a while before I can get referred to the blood clinic and get my results

I haven't no Jester. I don't think that diet is for me.

Why's that? You can't expect to maintain peak strength or stamina on a diet, and worrying about that is going to prohibit you from actually accomplishing your fat loss goals.

In your own words, you basically haven't budged in three months, so why not try a proven diet?

It's too extreme for me jester. I'm also not a big eater of vegetables so I wouldn't be able to fill up on them.

I've trained 2 weeks at maintenance now. I'm trying a new stricter diet from what I was on.

It works out at about 1700 calories. 211g protein. 131g carbs and 35g fat. I'm concerned at the fat being low. Can such low fat have any effect on my progress?

Reminds me of this kid named Kyle who came on here a decade ago saying never to eat veggies, it's a waste, just eat fruit instead.

Who cares? My kids try using the same excuse, I make them eat them anyway. There comes a point in life where you are going to have to do things you don't like.

I think the problem is i'm just an endomorph. I can't seem to hit the goals I want to. I have spent 4 months bulking in the last 2 years. The other time I have spent dieting (or trying too). I'm want to get leaner so I can go on a long slow bulk.

I feel I am not hitting my true potential in the gym because most of the time I am not eating the calories to improve

Back