Doing away with bulking and cutting

• Thread starter imported_drpierredebs
  • Start date
''Once you have been fat, whatever your definition of fat is, it is easier to get fat again and harder to stay lean''

I must say this doesnt fit with my experience. I bulked up to 255 when training HIT and was fat. Now I am 225 and struggling to eat enough. I find nuts a useful aid, they are 50% fat (good), so its not too hard to eat a thousand calories worth every day.

btw, I am slowly bulking at the mo

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Buy a mountain bike, train riding this bike uphill in low gears and watch how your LBM, notably in your legs, increases and your fat melts away, at the same time eat a normal diet with approximately 30-35% of your energy intake from protein-and prove it to yourself. </div>

I was trying to understand the process by which this would be possible.
What then would be the difference between simply eating less carbs/fat and burning more carbs/fat from cardio as you suggest doing.

This is where I piss and moan to my parents for feeding me mcdonalds chicken nuggets and frenchfries practically 4 times a week as a little boy.  
sad.gif

I am jk. This really sucks though because i have been about 15% body fat regardless of what I do. I am 17 years old and cant drop 3%!

I am definately trying the Velocity Weightloss when I get to my 10s.

<div>
(JonnyH @ Nov. 29 2006,16:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Buy a mountain bike, train riding this bike uphill in low gears and watch how your LBM, notably in your legs, increases and your fat melts away, at the same time eat a normal diet with approximately 30-35% of your energy intake from protein-and prove it to yourself. </div>

I was trying to understand the process by which this would be possible.
What then would be the difference between simply eating less carbs/fat and burning more carbs/fat from cardio as you suggest doing.</div>
The difference would be, you are creating a deficit from energy expenditure. When you are cutting calories, you do not have any to begin with.

Too much calorie cutting can slow metabolism and create a very catabolic environment for your body to work with. (That depends though....if you are going from a 1000 surplus to a 100 surplus, that will not do a thing.)

<div>
(Cova @ Nov. 29 2006,16:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This is where I piss and moan to my parents for feeding me mcdonalds chicken nuggets and frenchfries practically 4 times a week as a little boy.  
sad.gif
</div>
Sue them!
cool.gif

Hmmm how is it more catabolic to give your body less calories than to burn off more?
Either way at some point in the day your creating an energy deficit which your body has to make up for, if glycogen levels are low either because your eating less over the day or you have just burned off more during cardio then you are more likely to be breaking down muscle mass for energy no?

Apart from being able to get more nutrients inside the body i dont see the difference.
Eat more = more to burn off - counteracted by faster metabolic rate.
Eat less = less to burn off - counteracted by normal metabolic rate.

I was still thinking in terms of a surplus though.
What would be the difference between eating a 200 calorie surplus &amp; eating a 500 calories surplus - then burning off 300 calories.

Im failing to understand how the body could ever get to a point where it is burning any fat created by the surplus + fat stored whilst still being able to build muscle 100% efficiently. If your burning off all the energy your providing your body to the point where it has to start taking the energy from fat stores, why wouldnt it start taking them from muscle stores also.

Yes i am overly obsessed with this subject
tounge.gif

I have tried cutting calories and aerobics+ i am in taekwondo, I should have no problem burning fat at 17 but I do anyway. I have tried fat burners and the only one that worked was hydroxycut hardcore but that has deuretics in it so i am not sure how effective it really was. I am thinking maybe because i consumed far too much junk food-causing fat cell hyperlasia at a very young age that I will always look soft. The lowest fat percent i have ever had in my life was 14.7 over the summer.

Should I try the velocity diet? Maintenance is easy for me but the fat loss is almost an impossible feat for me.

''thinking maybe because i consumed far too much junk food-causing fat cell hyperlasia at a very young age that I will always look soft''

How frequently are you weight trainging, I find 48 hour wholebody sessions burn a lot of calories, have you tried a high EFA diet?

<div>
(Cova @ Nov. 30 2006,10:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have tried cutting calories and aerobics+ i am in taekwondo, I should have no problem burning fat at 17 but I do anyway. I have tried fat burners and the only one that worked was hydroxycut hardcore but that has deuretics in it so i am not sure how effective it really was. I am thinking maybe because i consumed far too much junk food-causing fat cell hyperlasia at a very young age that I will always look soft.  The lowest fat percent i have ever had in my life was 14.7 over the summer.

Should I try the velocity diet? Maintenance is easy for me but the fat loss is almost an impossible feat for me.</div>
Do you have three days in a week when you could train both am and pm. My experience is that a full body workout in the am and then another that same pm will crank up the metabolism. You would probably want to alternate between A and B routines.

Have you tried limiting your carbs to the morning (except for veggies which you can eat anytime)?

Is your TKD mainly sparring (a great calorie burner), or working on technique (not so great as a calorie burner, especially once you become conditioned to it)?

I think you will be able to find a way to lower your BF%. Hang in there.

smf

If your not losing fat your not eating less than your burning. Supplements that speed up your metabolism arent magic they just lead to you having a larger energy expenditure. Just as cardio does, just as weightlifting does. People could lose fat efficiently on diet alone theyd just have to eat a lot less and lose a lot of muscle at the same time.

Anyway i dont think fat cell hyperplasia is gonna be an issue for anyone, depending how big someone gets loose skin could be.

If this guy can change his body like this with only fat loss+muscle mass increase, i dont see it being a problem.

Whenever i am in taekwondo we do drills or sparring. either way it is like a football practice w/o the gear or it is one on one sparring with gear.

second.........that picture was probably over a 3 year period of weightlifting.

I can eat a ton and not gain weight, i just can't lose it nomatter what.

Yes it wasnt in 4 months. But the point wasnt he got big and lost bodyfat at an amazing rate it was that he was big - got thin and doesnt look soft because of any supposed fat cell hyperplasia.

How can you eat less than your burning and not lose weight. Where is your body getting the energy for itself to run on if you are not providing it?

Jonny is right. But here's another idea for you. If you don't look too bad, just slow bulk, very clean (I think you do eat clean), and focus on mass. Don't forget that the more muscle you gain, the more fat your bod will burn. Conversely, the more calories it will take to maintain it as well, but in my experience, the bigger I got, the leaner I looked, until my hormone levels started dropping.
Also, could there be something in your diet that has hidden fats/sugars/starches that you're eating too much of? Just a thot.

I eat really clean and I quadruple check labels before i purchase any food. I just went shopping today and bought salmon, skinless chicken breast, zuccini(however you spell it), yellow squash, red and orange peppers, fuji apples, banannas, ect.... The only packaged thing I bought was all natural penut butter(Ingrediants: Penuts and salt).

I do not really see the problem. Should i cut out fruit?
I wake up and eat regular oatmeal mixed with L-carnitine and a serving of protein shake.

Changing to a diet like this helped me drop to 14.7% over the summer....but I hit a plateau within a month.

TKD practice being as tough as football? You must have some weanie football practices. When I was in football the fat guys threw up at least 3 times a week during practice due to over exertion. I took TKD for a while and I could have had a weanie school, but there was not enough hard contact or hard work for me.

Anyway you would be surprised how wildly your diet varies from day to day even eating clean. I was eating clean, eating the same food everyday (nearly), and trying to get the portions about equal. After I got my scale and started weighing everything, I realized that I had a variation of almost 500cals on average. The more anal retentive you get about it the better your results will be.

Also as you lose weight your calorie requirements will drop simply from losing body weight. This isnt including the fact that your metabolism may drop too. To counteract the metabolism problem you need to periodically eat at maintenance for a while to reset it. I typically cut 8-10 weeks then eat maintenance during SD and atleast the first week of 15s on the next cycle.

Back