Mad Sniggel 5x5

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jun. 19 2008,6:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Sniggel @ Jun. 16 2008,4:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The floor is concrete and the shoes we wear do not have good dynamic protection.</div>
The concrete floor is what does it. It will make your feet hurt clear up past your elbows!

Your pics look good. At least your hair is growing back...
wink.gif
</div>
Yeah, the I´m-on-chemo-look is gone
smile.gif

Bax: thanks
smile.gif

Squat
5*72½ kg
5*82½ kg
5*95 kg
5*95 kg

Military Press
5*40 kg
5*47½ kg
5*55 kg (heavy as f**k)
5*62 kg (extremely heavy, needed to push press last rep a bit, 40% or so, this is sooo near failure, lets see what happens next workout) PB!
Abs took a beating too last set, guess I will be sore there tomorrow.

Deadlift
5*102½ kg
5*117½ kg
5*135 kg
5*155 kg

I was not energetic today, but i managed doing everything without failing anyway so I am proud of myself.

Was planned to train after work the last friday but I was extremely exhausted and passed out in bed after work. Yesterday I did some light cardio and some moderate-high intensity intervals as well (preparing). Unfortunately I hurt my hamstrings while doing this so now I cant train legs for a while.

I also did a muscle fiber test for 3 muscles.
First I warmed up to a 1RM MAX
Strict Dumbbell Curl 28 kg
Standing Dumbbell Tricep Extension 18 kg
Strict Lateral Raises 14 kg

Then I calculated 80% of that and after 15 minutes rest I did as many reps as possible:
Strict Dumbbell Curl 22.4~22 kg - 4 reps
Standing Dumbbell Tricep Extension 14.4~14 kg - 8 reps
Strict Lateral Raises 14 kg 12.2~12 - 2 reps (should have been 11.2, miscalculated)
Overall the test confirms that I am quite explosively distributed which I probably knew all along anyway.

I think the triceps is a bit misleading because I felt a bit fatigued when doing the 1RM for some reason so its probably higher. The lateral raise is also misleading of course since I did more than 80% of 1RM.

I have been feeling signs of nearing overtraining for a few days and I am thinking of lowering volume or frequency, which might mean a change in training routine. This is sad because it meant I couldnt &quot;milk&quot; this program for very long. But on the other hand, reducing volume or frequency should make me able to progress and get new PRs on the main exercises.

A week of deload and then restarting at week 4 weights helped me milk another 4 weeks out of the program. I've felt the overtaining in the 5x5 each time I've done it, usually around week 5 or 6.

Problem is the first 4 weeks were meant as a deload. So I have only been training &quot;for real&quot; for one week before I am starting to get overtrained again. Its always like this whatever I do it seems. Taking a week off might help or it might not. For me it can mean that I drop some strength so I need to work back again to were I was, at which point I need a new break. 2 steps forward, 2 steps back. If I´m lucky it will mean I come back stronger, but that usually isnt the outcome anymore.
Oh well. This is what i believe at the moment is the right way to do, continue training, although at a reduced volume and/or frequency.
If I havent increased to new PR on most (important) lifts, or increased a lot on one lift, I dont think a week off or two will do anything for me but lose progress.

I have lots of thoughts on my training progress, but its hard to type them all down in a concise fashion, partly because english is nto my mother tongue and partly because its hard to describe all the gathered experience I have from the last 12+ months of training in one single post.

Thanks for the advice though, but I just dont believe it will do it for me because I have tried that route before under the circumstances I am under (overtraining symptoms before progressing beyond former PRs)

I am beginning to believe though (for several reasons) that I can tolerate (a lot more) volume easier if I split the body into more parts. A while ago I took some time to look through old training logs and came to the conclusion that I made the best progress during a push/pull/leg split. And thats even when my diet was less than optimal (lower on the protein than usual, calories were good though). In the current state I am in, reducing from whole body 3x/week to whole body once a week (3-split), will be a smart way to deload and still be able to train heavy and continue progress.

Here is a random push workout. My hammies still hurt so I couldnt train much else.

Bench Press
3*100 kg
3*110 kg
1*120 kg
5 kg away from my last 1RM max and it wasn't really that hard anyway.

Dumbbell Bench Press
8*22 kg
8*24 kg
8*26 kg
7*28 kg

Pull Workout

No deads because of strained hammies.

Dumbbell Row
3*40 kg
3*46 kg
5*50 kg
5*50 kg

Chins

T-Bar
10*45 kg
10*45 kg
8*60 kg

Dumbbell Curl
5*20 kg
5*20 kg
3*25 kg

Squat
5*125 kg
5*125 kg
5*125 kg
5*125 kg
Not fully recovered in my legs, but getting better I think. Despite the fact my legs have more potential than this, this squat session was the best performance I have done so far. 5reps at 125 has been done before, but not for 4 sets, and I wasn't even very exhausted after last set. Maybe I'll try 130 next week.

Glute Ham Raises
made me cramp, ouch

Leg Curl
A couple of sets at light weights and high reps to take away the pain from the cramp.

Calves in Leg Press
20*160 kg
15*200 kg
10*240 kg
7*280 kg
4*310 kg
8*200 kg (DC-Style)

Leg curl
1 more set because i flet like it

Leg extension
A couple of sets for fun

<div>
(Sniggel @ Jul. 07 2008,11:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Squat
5*125 kg
5*125 kg
5*125 kg
5*125 kg
Not fully recovered in my legs, but getting better I think. Despite the fact my legs have more potential than this, this squat session was the best performance I have done so far. 5reps at 125 has been done before, but not for 4 sets, and I wasn't even very exhausted after last set. Maybe I'll try 130 next week.</div>
Impressive!

You're gonna have some mighty sore legs in a coupla days.

Yeah probably. I usually dont get much soreness but this is a lot of volume+intensity in one workout so i guess it will be quite noticeable tomorrow and on wednesday
tounge.gif

Bench Press
3*100 kg
3*110 kg
1*120 kg

Dumbbell Bench Press
8*22 kg
8*26 kg
8*30 kg
7*34 kg
6*30 kg

Standing Tricep Extension
8*12 kg
5*14 kg
4*14 kg
6*12 kg

Weighted Crunches on NGK
10*15 kg
10*20 kg
8*25 kg
10*15 kg

12*12 kg

Thanks, yes I know about my tris, but I did not know my delts were that noticable from behind while only walking. My pecs seems to have grown since last time I was at this bf%

Didn't train last workout opportunity because my calf soreness has been out of this world, crazy! Had troubles standing upright from sitting still or sleeping for more than 5 minutes, until they got warm, but they still hurt though. My hammies also hurt from my &quot;careful&quot;interval training 2 weeks ago and I had a slight soreness in my quads, despite all the heavy sets.
But today everything seems to be almost recovered. Still got soreness but I can train with it so I´ll go to the gym today. I am not just sure on how to continue. I guess today will be deadlifts and more back exercises + biceps. But the next time, leg day or push day?
If the soreness gets better after training like this for a while Ill probably stick to M:Sq/leg W:push F:DL/Back. But if not then I might change to a 2 split with 1-2 off-days between training sessions, alternating between squats and DLs (+more leg/calf work) on the A routine and doing push+pull exercises (and arm+ab work) on B Rotuine.

I started option number 2 already today. Which means upper/lower split. It just made more sense after I thought it through. Training should be 2-3 times/week depending on how much rest I feel I need between workouts.

Deadlift
3*150 kg
2*170 kg
1*180 kg
4*160 kg
First time I felt I had &quot;contact&quot; in hamstrings during deadlift, lol?

Hacklift
12*90 kg
12*110 kg (PB I think)
8*130 kg PB!

Sitting Leg Curl
Did a couple of sets, didn't bother to count reps or log weight, not at this stage. I am doing it to &quot;cure&quot; my hamstring pain (If you are curious, no I do not have a problem doing deadlifts atm despite my pain, the deadlift does not trigger it for some reason)

Calves in Leg Press
10*240 kg
7*290 kg
4*320 kg
Not as much volume as last time, but same intensity on sets.

Cardio / &quot;PWO breathing relaxation&quot;
Fast walk / slow uphill walk for 16 minutes

Morning Weight: 82 kg, not much happening, thinking about controlling my diet so I gain weight more steadily

Going to type down all cardio I do as well:

Yesterday

1h+ biking to work
1h+ biking from work

Today

18 minutes morning cardio

Evening

Bench Press
3*100 kg
3*110 kg
1*120 kg
Not as strong as last time

Dumbbell Row
8*30 kg
3*40 kg
5*50 kg
5*55 kg

Dumbbell Bench
8*30 kg
8*34 kg
8*38 kg PB (I think)
4*42 kg PB (I think)

Dumbbell Curl
5*20 kg
3*25 kg

14*12 kg
4*15 kg

NGK (abs)
14*15 kg
10*20 kg
11*25 kg
7*30 kg

PWO Cardio

8 minutes

Wasn't fully energetic today. Getting PB on a secondary exercises after benching when being a bit sluggish is... well... fantastic?

Sore throat + asthma problems is the explanation for my inactivity. Better now. Will train on monday. Did light cardio today.

Finally back to training. Felt great today so was aiming for a new PR on 5RM squat.

Squat
5*130 PR! OMG, finally the number I have aimed for!
5*130 PR! Form was very good
Raised to 132½
4*132½ OMFG!
I was so euphoric between this sets, achieving new PR and it was all done with good form, below parallell, no spotter, no belt, totally RAW.

Leg Curl
20*30 kg
15*40 kg
15*50 kg
I have a little subtle pain still in my hamstrings, and will probably have &quot;forever&quot; if I continue working with what I do. Hopefully that is going to change soon though.

Calves in Leg Press
15*160 kg
12*200 kg
8*240 kg
6*290 kg
3*340 kg
7*200 kg (DC Style)
Really enjoy lifting the heavy weights

Moved Abs to this day since my upper body day has tons of exercises anyway
Abs on NGK
12*15 kg
12*20 kg
12*25 kg
9*30 kg
9*30 kg
Was stronger than usual, I think its a good idea having this exercise on leg day.

PWO-shake + light cardio
15 minutes of 4-7 km/h with 0-15 degrees incline

Back