Testosterone in HST vs Traditional?

Thanks for all the responses, I am really excited to learn from so many knowledgeable people.

I am training for bulk. I did do the 15s, and now that I am halfway through my 10s, I can retract my original question. The workouts in HST get intense about halfway through...

Anyway, in response to the somewhat heated debate about the effectiveness of 15s, I remember reading in the original HST literature on the website about lactic acid buildup during the 15s and how this would allow the body to tolerate it during the 10s and 5s...

I have a bunch more questions to ask, I guess I will start new threads.

Here is my routine:

Squats
Benchpress
Stiff Legged Deadlift
Barbell Rows
Seated Shoulder Press
Lying Triceps Extension
EZ Bar Curls
Standing Calf Raises
Shoulder Raises (EZ Curl Bar)

I am doing 1 set for 15s, 2 sets for 10s, and am planning on doing 3 for 5s, but I am foreseeing that as being too much during the last week...we'll see.

Cheers!

looks like your good to go,i presume shoulder raises are upright rows?

i particulaly like the lying tricep extensions,i personally think its important to take advantage of the full range of movement on this exercise,i take the weight past my head to give the tricep the full stretch and to maximise stress in the muscle coming back up.i garantee not only will these feel great,but also your tricep will explode with growth.much better than just going down to the forehead.

also,perhaps in your next cycle you may want to switch to dumbells for chest and even shoulder press as i find these to tax me a lot more and are much less restrictive in movement.

as for squats,its upto you wether you go ass to grass or parallel,i tend to do one of each,this way you dont miss out,or maybe change up next cycle.

good luck and keep us upto date with your progress.

It's not a 'heated debate' for those in the know about the 15's, since it's individual relative to body condition, goals, cut or bulk, age and other factors. If I'm bulking, coming in after a 14 day SD, 53 yrs old, joint problem history, and can't always keep workouts on a schedule, you'd better believe I'm gonna use the 15's. Then I might skip them a couple cycles later.
Your routine looks fine. I like skulls or cable pressdowns better than extensions if I'm going to do iso's .

<div>
(lcars @ Jul. 13 2007,17:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Jul. 12 2007,15:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(lcars @ Jul. 12 2007,19:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Jul. 11 2007,13:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just to add something:if someone equated what I said about LBM wastage with withering into nothingness, that was not what I meant. You can sit around and wank, and it`ll take a while(relatively) before you shrink significantly. What I meant was that the 15s as set-up by the basic routine are suboptimal for the more advanced lifter-there are better ways to handle in-between cycle breaks. Anyway, this is OT.</div>
imo and experience the 15's are in noway a stop gap or suboptimal method of training,as stated earlier gains can be made at high reps especially the different fibre types,which themsevles need varied rep ranges to be stimulated properly.

moreover,at the moment im using progressive load and high to low reps as part of a standard split.try doing 15 reps with 3 sets of 200kg deads and tell me they arent productive
biggrin.gif
</div>
I think it`s wonderful that high reps work for you. I also think it`s not a great idea to extend personal experience to everyone, and state it as a general rule. It would be great to think what are the confounding factors that could lead to higher-reps being more productive for legs. Hint:form of execution. Happen to have any solid research that points to having to use different rep ranges for different fiber types?Because I sure as heck don't, and, if anything, one can't train according to fiber type/distribution in any significant extent.

But I really don't want to argue about this, because generally this is the point where ppl become uber-defensive and inches gained start to be flung around-it`s an argument that's both unnecessary and irrelevant. Everyone do as their heart desires, and have icecream in the process.</div>
first off,unless i become a parrot like many people on many boards quoting things theyve,heard which is unlikley,i have to rely on my experience as it is what &quot;i know works for me&quot;.

secondly,i dont remember stating anything as a rule.

i dont use 15's often anymore except for certain exercises,i mean my calves wont develope at all from 5 reps i have to hit 10 minimum to even feel i worked them.

the fact is everyone has to put forward their experiences otherwise whats the point discussing anything?

i have to agree i dont want to argue with anyone either,but i wasnt the one who came into the thread with a bold comment and then later back tracked.</div>
Back-track on what?Do you want me to provide a bolded statement, so that you`re not confounded?Here it is:15s are most often useless, IMO, and especially so in the context of submaximal working.I still think you'll be likely to waste some of the progress you achieved on a prior cycle by doing 2 weeks of submaximal 15-rep training after a 9-14 day layoff...umm...pardon, SD. I still think that a far better way to handle in-between cycles intervals is to do a deload phase, and then re-ramp up from about 80% of former RM for two weeks, then aiming to increase this. And as I explained, LBM wasting does not equate to becoming an Auschwitz victim, if you read is as such, sorry. For me, in this context, means setting up a situation in which you're more likely to spin your wheels instead of actually moving forward.

Metabolic work certainly has its place, but I'd rather have it as something added to base training, rather than the single form of training(for example, 2 workouts a day, one being the meat&amp;potatoes 6-8 rep heavy growth aimed one, and the second being a 10-12(15 if it gives you the jeepers) metabolic oriented one. This works great in my experience(har har, I quoted my experience, now all of the above is immuable fact, coz anecdote sure as hell beats &quot;parroting&quot; research and stuff).

Legs work better with higher reps because higher reps equate with less weight, thus equating with good form. There, I laid it out for you. I know, I know, you already have perfect form...but maybe not(we've all been guilty of skimping on form, have we not?). Let's take calf training as an example:a lifter is likely to use a lot of elastic force in his calf training, thus giving his muscles almost no reason to grow. You'll accumulate force in your tendons and bounce with it(that's why even apparent wumps can use huge weights on calf raises-you can get a lot of elastic force and bounce a lot of weight). Start pausing on the low point of the movement(pausing on the high point is not as important)-stay for about 2-3 seconds there and then push again. Odds are it'll be a &quot;tad&quot; bit harder to push the weight up.

dude a quote from you:

Wussies and those that tend to care about LBM wasting..those kinds of ppl.

then:

Just to add something:if someone equated what I said about LBM wastage with withering into nothingness, that was not what I meant. You can sit around and wank, and it`ll take a while(relatively) before you shrink significantly. What I meant was that the 15s as set-up by the basic routine are suboptimal for the more advanced lifter-there are better ways to handle in-between cycle breaks. Anyway, this is OT

sounds like back tracking to me.

ofcourse there are more productive rep ranges for hypertrophy than 15's no-one will dispute that,but your first opening statement was well over the top,say what you mean or dont say it at all,then people wont get confused about the message you are trying to convey.

i cant believe you are still ranting on about this let it drop.

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Jul. 15 2007,11:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Legs work better with higher reps because higher reps equate with less weight, thus equating with good formThere, I laid it out for you. I know, I know, you already have perfect form...but maybe not(we've all been guilty of skimping on form, have we not?). Let's take calf training as an example:a lifter is likely to use a lot of elastic force in his calf training, thus giving his muscles almost no reason to grow. You'll accumulate force in your tendons and bounce with it(that's why even apparent wumps can use huge weights on calf raises-you can get a lot of elastic force and bounce a lot of weight). Start pausing on the low point of the movement(pausing on the high point is not as important)-stay for about 2-3 seconds there and then push again. Odds are it'll be a &quot;tad&quot; bit harder to push the weight up.</div>

no not really,you may have strict form for lighter weights but thats only one reason why legs are &quot;better&quot; whatever that means.i never compromise form,when you get to heavy poundages it would be disasterous to.
the main reason is legs can take alot of punishment and they are indeed a very large muscle group and need weight,focus and in some cases higher reps to fully recruit all of the working fibres weight being the most important,so high reps must not be discounted for hypertrophy altogether.low and heavy would be &quot;better&quot;for hypertrophy but high reps yield some growth too.there i laid it out for you
biggrin.gif

<div>
(lcars @ Jul. 15 2007,11:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">not sure if i got him right,i thought a skull was the same as a lying tricep extension or are they like kickbacks?the Nomenclature can be a little different across the water. i use a skull/pullover hybrid for tri's usually with dumbells as i find the bar a little restrictive on the wrists personally.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/lying-tricep-extension.html</div>
I use a cambered bar, as in your example link to save the wrists doing skulls. I don't consider a skull to be an extension or kickback, because
a.) the tricep doesn't quite fully extend as it does in behind-the-head standing presses. I'd consider any of those to be &quot;extensions&quot;.
b.) the kickbacks have the pressure on at the extension point, and are more of a shaping exersize than mass builder.
c.) Probably the best overall tri exersize would be BTH BB presses...isn't that a French press? You get to go heavy and also get a full ROM under load. If your elbows can take it. Some guys have problems.

<div>
(lcars @ Jul. 15 2007,22:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Jul. 15 2007,11:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Legs work better with higher reps because higher reps equate with less weight, thus equating with good formThere, I laid it out for you. I know, I know, you already have perfect form...but maybe not(we've all been guilty of skimping on form, have we not?). Let's take calf training as an example:a lifter is likely to use a lot of elastic force in his calf training, thus giving his muscles almost no reason to grow. You'll accumulate force in your tendons and bounce with it(that's why even apparent wumps can use huge weights on calf raises-you can get a lot of elastic force and bounce a lot of weight). Start pausing on the low point of the movement(pausing on the high point is not as important)-stay for about 2-3 seconds there and then push again. Odds are it'll be a &quot;tad&quot; bit harder to push the weight up.</div>

no not really,you may have strict form for lighter weights but thats only one reason why legs are &quot;better&quot; whatever that means.i never compromise form,when you get to heavy poundages it would be disasterous to.
the main reason is legs can take alot of punishment and they are indeed a very large muscle group and need weight,focus and in some cases higher reps to fully recruit all of the working fibres weight being the most important,so high reps must not be discounted for hypertrophy altogether.low and heavy would be &quot;better&quot;for hypertrophy but high reps yield some growth too.there i laid it out for you
biggrin.gif
</div>
Is this fact or personal experience again?And, really, thank you for educating me, you seem to be most adept in these matters. Would you like to be my trainer?15s are the hawt, BTW.

15s work well for all of my muscles. I do them at the same cadence as my other rep-ranges and they hurt like a mother.

With the number of variables involved in strength training, I think it gets pretty hard to pinpoint one exact right way, doesn't it? Because of this, aren't we pretty much limited to speaking in terms of generalities and supposition?

<div>
(javacody @ Jul. 16 2007,00:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">15s work well for all of my muscles. I do them at the same cadence as my other rep-ranges and they hurt like a motherfucker.

With the number of variables involved in strength training, I think it gets pretty hard to pinpoint one exact right way, doesn't it? Because of this, aren't we pretty much limited to speaking in terms of generalities and supposition?</div>
For strength training, no. For strength training you've got heaps of research, and much less background noise. And good coaches. And a very precise way of quantifying progress:you either get stronger or you don't.

For hypertrophy(getting da beach bod'
smile.gif
), waters are far murkier. First because research is not as exhaustive, and some setups are ludicrous. Second because this is more of a mass thing, and thus you get a billion retarded trainers adding their &quot;valuable&quot; input. Third, because it`s a domain that forces one to evaluate progress subjectively...and ppl tend to suck at this, not to mention the placebo is strong. So you get ppl that grow huge lifting the same weights year after year. Or fat slobs who preach the keto-diets, explaining you can't get fat on them, and that they're ripped eating sausages, because they're using the metabolic advantage or whatever. And innumerable other silly things of the same kind. Not to mention the confounding factor constituted by diet.

Even for hypertrophy, one can and should look at how the vast majority of those that built muscles managed to do that(asides from Test and other goodies:) ). The individual experience doesn't work all that great-example:if I were to tell you that in my experience 1 rep done once per week made me huge, what value would that hold?It would be my personal experience...and you'd think me a fool, because I've chosen an over-the-top example. But if I were to say something less over-the-top, what value would that hold?About the same, unless a considerable number of ppl have similar experiences/some proper research shows that my experience is generally applicable.

Anyway, this argument is not fun...bah, I used to enjoy these things when I was dieting, but now it seems to be a very bland experience. Darn
tounge.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Jul. 15 2007,16:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(lcars @ Jul. 15 2007,11:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">not sure if i got him right,i thought a skull was the same as a lying tricep extension or are they like kickbacks?the Nomenclature can be a little different across the water. i use a skull/pullover hybrid for tri's usually with dumbells as i find the bar a little restrictive on the wrists personally.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/lying-tricep-extension.html</div>
I use a cambered bar, as in your example link to save the wrists doing skulls. I don't consider a skull to be an extension or kickback, because
a.) the tricep doesn't quite fully extend as it does in behind-the-head standing presses. I'd consider any of those to be &quot;extensions&quot;.
b.) the kickbacks have the pressure on at the extension point, and are more of a shaping exersize than mass builder.
c.) Probably the best overall tri exersize would be BTH BB presses...isn't that a French press? You get to go heavy and also get a full ROM under load. If your elbows can take it. Some guys have problems.</div>
as regards to c,yes i believe that would be classed as a french press,which is what i do lying down.you can indeed add far more weight to the bar (or dumbell)

and for one i wouldnt waste my time with kickbacks,they have no place in a serious gym(just my opinion).

<div>
(javacody @ Jul. 15 2007,17:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">15s work well for all of my muscles. I do them at the same cadence as my other rep-ranges and they hurt like a motherfucker.

With the number of variables involved in strength training, I think it gets pretty hard to pinpoint one exact right way, doesn't it? Because of this, aren't we pretty much limited to speaking in terms of generalities and supposition?</div>
its good that you are getting results,and yes its difficult to pinpoint the exact number of reps one should use to obtain the best results.

.but from our own experience and from listening to others along with reading books we learn that shifting heavy weight is key to growth,you could hit anywhere in the sub 10 rep range and yield good results.

its just hard training, good diet and plenty of rest that will produce the best results.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jul. 15 2007,16:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">c.) Probably the best overall tri exersize would be BTH BB presses...</div>
BTH?

Are those Bump The Head presses...?
biggrin.gif

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jul. 15 2007,20:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(quadancer @ Jul. 15 2007,16:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">c.) Probably the best overall tri exersize would be BTH BB presses...</div>
BTH?

Are those Bump The Head presses...?</div>
behind the head press.

I'd say, no one is insisting at all that 15's are for hypertrophy, If I can remember correctly even Bryan says they are not, but for some of us &quot;geyzers&quot; it is suitable in fact indispensable to do at least one week of these.

One slight correction maybe for squats, where the high reps does in fact cause some growth, weird heyn?

Java, although I am not a moderator, I'd like to caution you on the language, Morgoth as well, it is part of the code of conduct of this forum and it is unnecessary, as it does not make your point any more empathic at all.
sad.gif

i always do 15s it eases me into the heavy weights,now if someone is saying that 15s wont make you grow then i have to dissagree,IMO any rep range that increases load over time will cause hypertrophy,if this isnt true then that means there must be an ideal rep range for hypertrophy,so why are we not all using it
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

Let’s go back to the idea that there is no “on/off” switch for growth assigned to a given number of reps. 1 long rep (essentially just holding onto a weight for a long time) will make whatever muscles being stretched grow larger (initially). At the same time, making a muscle do 50 consecutive high-force eccentric reps will also make it grow. So it isn’t critical to do a specific number of reps “per set”, although a minimum number of reps per “bout” will be required to achieve the minimum amount of time under tension required to stimulate growth. This &quot;minimum time&quot; changes up (or down as in SD) as your muscle becomes more (or less as in SD) conditioned to the load.

I follow the 15&gt;10&gt;5&gt;eccentric rep progress. I always make sure I hit the target reps on the first set, but I don’t worry about falling short on the second set when I close to my RM. With sufficient rest betweens sets it usually isn’t a problem though.

- Bryan Haycock

I think it is important to get rid of the notion of the “number” of reps as a principle of muscle growth. Repetitions are not a &quot;principle&quot; of hypertrophy, any more than counting the number of cranks it takes to reel in a fish is necessary to catch fish. You simply crank as many times as is necessary to get the job done. I'm not saying you are doing this, but in order to understand what it is you need to accomplish in the gym, it will help to avoid thinking of the specified number of reps as a restriction or limitation.

Yes, the # of reps a person uses is related to the amount of a weight they’re using as well as their level of strength. However, the # of reps in no way should be used to dictate how much weight they should use. In other words, the only reason we designate a specific number of reps to use is to maintain order in our training. They are used as a guide whereby we can measure our progress. An incorrect usage of reps is to only increase the weight when more reps can be performed at a given weight load. This might be sufficient for an average strength-training program, but it is not a good way to increase hypertrophy.

So if I haven’t completely confused people as to what I am trying to say, let me summarize things this way:

1) There is a certain amount or threshold of weight or tension that must be applied to your muscle tissue in order to get it to grow. That threshold changes up or down depending on your level of conditioning.

2) Active Muscle Contraction (both concentric and eccentric) is facilitative to muscle hypertrophy when tension is applied. Although Passive Stretch is a potent inducer of muscle growth, in most instances we cannot apply the necessary level of passive stretch to each muscle of our body to accomplish real whole body muscle growth. Thus we use muscle contractions to shorten the tissue before stretching it. This way we don’t have to take each muscle to its absolute limit of range of motion before it experiences high levels of stretch.

3) Eccentric contractions are more effective at inducing hypertrophy than concentric contractions using the same relative amount of weight.

4) There is no physiological threshold of repetitions that is necessary for the growth stimulus to be created. It is dependant on the duration and amplitude of stretch relative to the tissues level of conditioning, not the actual number of contractions.

5) Fatigue is not the muscle’s way of indicating that a stimulus for growth has occurred. A growth stimulus can be created without taking a set to failure, and at other times, even taking a set to failure fails to produce an adequate growth stimulus. We have no direct way of knowing how successful we have been at creating a growth stimulus from workout to workout. Direct measurements require a laboratory setting and painful biopsies. The only way to really gauge is to look at what has previously been done to the tissue (i.e. how much weight, how much volume, what level of conditioning are we working with). By continuing to increase the duration and/or amplitude of tension/stretch/load, we can be reasonably sure we are creating an adequate growth stimulus (assuming diet is in order). “Within reason”, it is the total number of reps performed of a given movement during a single exercise bout that is important, not how many are performed each set. You can blame two prominent exercise researchers and their infatuation with minuscule fluctuations in hormone levels for any confusion on this point.

I’m not sure if that clears anything up or not. But it should help to see why the number of reps per set is less important than the overall progression of critical training variables (i.e. load, volume, frequency, diet) over time.

- Bryan Haycock

Back