2 month SD and return to BB

It's been so long since I trained at home, there is MOLD on my stuff! Oh, and I'm 218 now with an empty belly. On my way to bigfatpowalifta country.

Hey Quad,

Have you tried bench squats with 405?

Also, I really hope that tendon strain isn't too bad. I did something similar and it took about a year to sort itself out.

I'll try to remember to get my lad to take a pic of me with 180kg on my back so I can compare it with your pic.

I have seen folks who have less than ideal shoulder flexibility putting their hands out next to the bar sleeves so they can get the bar lower on the back. It might work but I don't think it's a particularly great thing to do because it tends to make it harder to keep the scaps adducted and the upper-back really tight.

Your benching is so far ahead of mine that it's not in the slightest bit funny! 8 x 6 x 245!! Day-um!
cool.gif

Well, don't forget I'm about 3 minutes between sets too. You meant "box" squats, didn't you? Anyway, I'm not back up to 405 yet, after dropping heavy squats while working up the deads. I've set this program for only 365 but will hit more if it feels right at the end. Longterm goal is 450.
I'm going to write my own program for the next cycle, and should come up in all lifts.

Yeah, box squats. It's late... and I usually use a bench.  
smile.gif
 How wide a stance are you using for your squats now? Wide, à la powerlifting style?

I'm in a power rack and the toes touch the lower rails. I'd go wider if we had a monolift.
It was an easy transition since I sumo deads.
The "bug bites" on my back turned out to be torn skin from the knurling on the bar, so today's squats were a lot of fun. I had to wrap the bar with a shelf liner I use on our slippery benches. When that hardens up, it should be nice not expecting pain any more.

First day of the strength month of the 3x3- w/o was stupid easy. I had to make things more difficult to feel like I had a workout. After squats I did walkouts up to 585 lbs.
I'm gonna pack down that spot if kills me! I just stood the 585 tho...didn't feel much like trotting that around, ya know?
Oh, and got a set of Tital wrist wraps and knee wraps for my birthday - nice and stiff too, for those max days.
At first the ol' lady couldn't believe I spent her $50 on gear!
Hey, it's what I wanted!

I can stand 635 now and bounce it, even put it too far back if I try. Scar tissue built and callous across the back...in 22 days!
First heavy week of Korte - legwork was easy to me, but my big bench is gone. I just popped 315 up once with a weak second rep, then 1 rep later that was probably a redlite. Not too very happy with this: I thought the program felt a bit too easy, but it could have just been bad prep for the day.
I'm wearing out shoulder dislocates, face pulls and stretching a lot, so the upper end is feeling much better and fluid.

<div>
(quadancer @ Sep. 28 2009,2:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I can stand 635 now and bounce it, even put it too far back if I try. Scar tissue built and callous across the back...in 22 days!</div>
Hey, now that's big boy's stuff. How does your spine feel under that?

You can SQUAT a weight, very hard on that spine.
You can WALK OUT a bigger weight, a bit of spinal stress.
You can STAND UP from the pins a huge weight; nothin' but a thang.
wink.gif

I was doing walkouts then standups only for making scar tissue and tough skin: danged if it didn't work and work FAST!

Stood up 725 yesterday...how in HECK do guys squat more than this? Unbelievable. I'm out of pain; I was just doing it for fun and further toughening.

In the Wrong Guy to Piss Off Dept:
I caught this on Fleabay, wondering when this college student was going to send me my car repair cd...one of his customers had this:
Bid for a manual (paper) and got a CD copy instead.Buyer: jetsetter707 ( 23)
Sep-17-09 14:58 US MARINES SNIPER SHARPSHOOTING STEALTH TRAINING COURSE (#160359582857)

You'd think he would have gotten THAT one right!  
rock.gif

Week2 of Korte power month complete: still too easy overall and max lifts are weaker than I was. The next 2 weeks better be magic. But, that's only 2 more heavy lifts each. I can't wait to run my own program, but have to finish this first. I added one MR set 220lb supinated pulldowns, shrugs to 455, and pendlays to 315x6, facing my 2 day layoff. Today I'll do cardio and light pullovers. I need ribs to help hide this ghut!

10/04 - sorry heavy bench day. I barely made the 325 single I was supposed to get and I don't see how just 2 more lifts in the next 2 weeks is supposed to take me all the way to 360. I'm losing faith in this program.
The new paused deadlifts are exciting though; I even did some on a box. Just pull off the floor an inch, pause a second and do your lift. It's a double hole shot.

10/06 - weirdness again with the Korte...this morning found me shoving rolls of mineral roofing onto a roof and when I reached for the steering wheel, my delt/pec tie-in was sore as heck. I expected not to bench today.
Hit gym an hour later and after warming up shoulders, squatted singles up to the 345 I was supposed to do 1-2 reps with, but it was easy...went up to a 365 deep DOUBLE!!! So that's what I'm supposed to do in 2 weeks at the end of the program, but hey...I did wrap for it, so I got that help. Maybe go totally raw at the end.
Bench was feeling surprisingly good and instead of repping 225 for maintenance, upped it to 255, and got a bit challenged near the end. (5rep sets) Perhaps that last bench day was just an anomaly of weakness.
Deads I stayed with the 285 reps, but added the 1 sec. pause at the bottom. These are getting to be fun.
laugh.gif

I rewrote the Chandler Routine and will try it for 2 weeks after the Korte. Check it out.

Finished 3 days of roofing, slept in a bit and after a small job, hit the gym. Squats opened well with a 12&quot; box and a bit of hip stiffness. Bench was a bit weak in the shoulder but went long with some extra sets at 255x5.
Deads were the day's ME, ramping up to 445, which gave me an easy triple (suh-prahze!) So being basically stupid, I went for my recent max single (460)...which went up about 12-15&quot; before my right fingers lost it. So I put on the straps and tried again, but was too shot to do it. I guess the grip work hasn't progressed as far as I thought.
25 rep BW chin set
20 rep BW pullup set
295x5x3 narrowgrip bench, facepulls 60x25 and out da door.

10/13 - After a Day From Hell yesterday, a bad night of insomnia, it's officially the last day of Korte - failed bench at 335 and was supposed to go to 345. Got mad about it and just repped the heck out of 315x8 deads for a while. Now I only have a little time to play with the Chandler Routine and tweak it until the 31st.

PR TIME!!!
Hit a nooner, and began the Chandler routine...6 sets of speed squats up to 225...MyoRep bench with 205 after warmups. Deads x2 until 405, singled them to 455 which went really easy. So I got stoopid, loaded 475 and yanked it nicely! I may get the big five before I go to surgury!
tounge.gif

Finished off with Skulls at 125 x 2, MR pressdown with 115.

Wow! Nice pull Quad. Congrats. We're about equal in our max dead now - well, of course, you're further ahead right now cos, as you know, my 473(+collars) was a while back and I can't train for a big pull again until I'm fixed. I have a sneaky feeling that you are going to beat me to the 500 (in which case, good for you!) but, if you don't get it before your op, I may just have a chance to catch up to you and pip you to the post (assuming I heal up faster)!  
biggrin.gif

Good back extension for the whole of the 475 lift?

Awesome deadlifting. I'm looking forward to seeing you hit 500. Are you able to take any videos? It would be really cool to see a vid of a 500 pull.

Believe me, the day of the attempt there will be some form of camera!
I had to make several changes to the Chandler Routine the first workout! Sure is different from paper to iron. ME work needs to be heavier, and begin with more sets when the weights are light.
Awesome session today, nailed the 365 squat raw so added wraps then qualified a 385, according to my &quot;trainee&quot;. Did a video of my paused deads but am having trouble getting it to load to photobucket or to Utube - it's in WMV format too.
edit: took forever, but finally, my first vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K88i_YJqkkM

10/20 Crappy day, tired from work and not sure I've taken enough time off between training days. I've definitely benched too much, as I failed a 315 double, on a ME day. I doubt I slept much last night either. Did some 2 board work at 295 for my sticking point, and wasn't happy with the reps there either.

Used 65 for face pulls just for some kind of satisfaction.
10/22 switched up things and did variety, like SLDL's, and db work.
10/24 Got really into accessory work today.
Tried out front squats, and delt pain kept me down to 185 with the bar slipping a lot. I don't have the wrist flex to do the other method.
A few leg sled sets to warm up for rack deads, which I singled up to 550 - not bad for my first time I guess.
5 rep overhead presses up to 175, where I failed at 4. Haven't done these in years.
8-10 rep dip sets up to 90lbs. which ripped my belt buckle apart. I need to make a dip belt.
Chins up to 70lbs x 8.
Overall, I seem to have retained some strengths while doing just the big 3 for months.

Not sleeping well, and my training is into a mish-mosh of variety until I pick a bench program.
Bench with bands, narrow squats to 315, cable rows at 285, incline bench to 245 but shoulder hurting pretty bad, pulldown machine rows at 350, followed by an eatfest at Wendy's.
11/2 - skipped training. All joints hip level and above bothering me, including neck and stuff that hasn't been exersized. Arthritis? Took some killers and T-911 to get thru the day. Researched joint remedies then won some Osteo-biflex on Fleabay. It came in 5th or 6th from the best of 15 products, and much cheaper.
11/3 - Hit deads, ramping to 405 for 7 sets of 4. Speed squats followed at 275x5x5. Railroaded db's doing doubles up to 60 and back. Then 60x6x3. Then 45lb. crossovers to the ears x 10, 3 sets. Left off chest and tri's for now.

Interesting and new stuff today. Loaded up a hack squat machine until plates were falling off the bar - 540 plus the rack weight...and me. Easily did 3's.
Put bands on the squat bar and went up to 275 using a 12&quot; box...that is weird and HARD - those bands add a LOT of weight. I used green jumprope looking things with the stirrup handles on the ends, pulled tight. After a couple sets, had to back off to 225 on the bar to do the 5x5.
Did 3x5 SLDL's up to a couple sets of 405, then wore myself out with rack presses at 295 and went home. I'll hit back tomorrow; I was fried.

Back day was okay with Pendlays for my high point at 365 for reps.
Today I went in blind, wanting to do big chest, but the squats felt so good as my first exersize, I kinda went nutz...did 3's up to a 365 easy double, and my buds were all about getting 405, so I fell for it and made the jump - and failed. Dropped to 385 and did an easy single, reracked the 405 and went for it again. I got stuck just above parallell on the way up and my spotter just bumped my ribs, and I powered it up the rest of the way. If I'd gone for 395 like I shoulda, I'd have gotten it.
Still not bad tho, 20# jump, almost hit it.
Put a bench in the crossover machine, put 25# on both pulleys at knee height and repped db's x8 up to 100's with the cables pulling my arms apart. Super pump with these.
NG BB bench starting at 225x5 ending with 245x7, hit the rope pressdowns and went home. Keeping it simple, back tomorrow.
smile.gif

Back