Are you experiencing Gains with HST?

etothepii

The addition of or splitting of muscle fiber is a big debate, from what I read, its only been proven in mice.  Wanna huge shocker, most studies that ive read this far, start out with, while we aren't 100% how muscle is formed/hypertrophy, this is what we.....

"Hyperplasia is the splitting of muscle fibers, resulting eventually in a greater number of fibers the same size as the originals."

What quadancer is referring too is merely the increase in volume of existing muscle fibers, not growth of new ones

"sarcomere hypertrophy, an increase in the size of the contractile portion of the muscle; and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, an increase in the non-contractile portion of the muscle.

Joe.Muscle
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Then I had this long thread about things that most likely you are not doing but you know better.

Then I thought why waste my time on this. </div>

Smart man.   We have been &quot;bench racing&quot; from the start, from both sides.   If you feel I should have practiced what I preach in order to be for something, then maybe others should have attempted this to gather a conclusion, in order to dispute it?  Works both ways.

Dan Moore

Thank you, finally!  You emphasize that maintaining the same exercise is more or less important, as being used as a form of meaurment of progress, would it still be a safe accumption, that to actually change all exercises totally, say and A/B cycle, isnt necessarily as bad an idea as its been made out in this thread?  This brings into question deconditioning.  If I do A cycle, at the end of the cycle, neural learning should have taken place, then when I switch to B cycle, again, at the end, neural learning should have taken place.  Now when you go back to A, is that eight week period doing B, enough, that neural learning is required for A again, or would it be learned more quickly or would it be required at all, as Im not sure how long it takes to unlearn for lack of a better term?     Make sense, I have the concept in my head, but honestly, I dont always have success putting it in print?

My thought process is this and has been from the start.   The exercises on B cycle should still target the major muscle as A, while potentially incoroporating differnt muscles or target existing ones differently, as they would only be VARIATIONS of the compound movement, like squat A cycle, deadlifts B cycle, I would still suspect, the neural learning curve would be much quicker the third cycle, if not all ready present, actually Im guessing and asking, as again, I dont know hwo long it takes to &quot;unlearn&quot;, neural learning?  My only reasoning for this and my point from the start is to keep things fresh, as a happy lifter will obviously enjoy what he or she is doing, a positive outlook spills over into every aspect of ones being, it only makes sense that it would make the human machine want to operate more efficiently to achieve hypertrophy.   I know people are saying but I do X, it takes a while but I enjoy what Im doing once I get to exercising, no doubt, its also a given, that when someone starts a new or varied program, they are pumped and ready to make things happen.  Im just trying to see if my theoretical option is feasable, from your educated viewpoint.

LOL
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Any kind of training will elicit growth in a person until the stimulus is adapted to. How much growth? It very much depends on the on the individual person and the stimulus. That's why some Tour De France riders have big legs and others smaller legs, yet they all do similar, brutal training.</div>

Exactly, its called genetic predisposition.  No dispute there.

totentanz
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Obviously not, since he's getting crap for results, according to his own posts.

Oh wait, no, he IS getting results because his chest is more defined (a function of bodyfat, by the way, which is what I suggested) but wait, oh no, he isn't getting results because according to his post, he hasn't gained any weight (a function of diet, by the way, which is what I suggested) so... uh, who knows.
</div>

I didnt say crap, said less than desirable.  Im allowed, not all programs work the same for everyone, thats fact, so I really fail to see your point.

There really isnt much to discuss here, whether anecdotal or not, Im convinced without doubt, that I have achieved chest development using less than optimal weight.   This fall under the catagory of, you can belive me or not, I could really care less but it happned, whether you like it or not.  
wink.gif

To the original poster, what amazes me is how everyone attacked my ideas, yet didnt for a second look outside the box and offer a happy medium, I found it doing my first search, seems there is no dispute between the HST communtity that doing an A/B routine, alternating between every other workout is a bad idea, so that would be one possibility to keep things fresh and apparently, to remain HST correct, should have been what I suggested.

<div>
(need2eat @ Jan. 05 2007,11:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">  </div>
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">would it still be a safe accumption, that to actually change all exercises totally, say and A/B cycle, isnt necessarily as bad an idea as its been made out in this thread? </div>It truly depends on your goals. If you are trying to attain maximal neural recruitment in several movements that are all related to a specific enhancement in strength, then probably not.

If your specific goal is to grow muscle tissue then you are better suited to stick with the same movement for longer periods.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This brings into question deconditioning. If I do A cycle, at the end of the cycle, neural learning should have taken place, then when I switch to B cycle, again, at the end, neural learning should have taken place. Now when you go back to A, is that eight week period doing B, enough, that neural learning is required for A again, or would it be learned more quickly or would it be required at all, as Im not sure how long it takes to unlearn for lack of a better term? </div> There is probably a small deficit but not all too noticable. In some of the detraining studies that looked at strength specificity, strength gains lasted a considerable time. Since it's also shown that muscle CSA takes time to atrophy I don't see where an 8 week rotation would be all too detrimental.

There is naturally a specificty component to both strength and hypertrophy, in other words, you won't get strong legs by benching and you won't grow pecs from squatting. So to be sure I emphasized enough here the importance of specificity I'll say it again.

In hypertrophy measures it is better suited to remain with a &quot;learned&quot; exercise and if you are planning on switching around your exercises then I personally suggest you do so only after a longer duration in training. If it takes 2 to 4 weeks to learn the movement and if it takes ~20 weeks or so to see a 20% change in size then one would theorhetically need 22 to 24 weeks with the same exercise to see the best of both worlds. Naturally this depends largely on the movements used and how closely they resemble in recruitment strategy.

<div>
(etothepii @ Jan. 05 2007,08:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A bricklayer has big shoulders, sometimes traps...mud finishers have biceps, carpenters get forearms and bikers get quads...to a point. At which it stops.
By adding BB'ing, you can bypass this 'sticking point' of growth.</div>

Quad, a lot of this has to do with muscle fiber type too, doesn't it? Doesn't BB add muscle fiber type that the other daily activities do not?</div>
No, you are born with what you have. You can shift between the different myosin fraction of the types but do not change the types themselves.

In other words you can not change type I to type II but you can change type II X to II A.

But this has little to do with hypertrophy and is mostly about either the speed the fiber contracts or the duration that contractions can be done.

In any weight that is sufficiently heavy you will recruit all types and therefore all will receive the stimulus to grow.

What isn't being mentioned here is specificty, why is a carpenters forearm large, because it is the muscles that are recruited. But unless they continually increase the weight of the hammer they only get so large and that's it.

<div>
(need2eat @ Jan. 05 2007,11:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">scientific muscle

Appreciate the hypertrophy-research link you provided.</div>
me too
wink.gif

This has been a great thread. I always enjoy reading a good discussion.

I just wanted to add that if you are training naturally, it is important to realize that you will not continue to grow forever. Plug in your measurements into this calculator and you will get an idea of how big HST can get you &quot;naturally&quot;.

<div>
(Bryan Haycock @ Jan. 05 2007,14:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This has been a great thread. I always enjoy reading a good discussion.

I just wanted to add that if you are training naturally, it is important to realize that you will not continue to grow forever. Plug in your measurements into this calculator and you will get an idea of how big HST can get you &quot;naturally&quot;.</div>
We discussed this calculator a while ago in another thread and there was some confusion on where you are supposed to measure your ankle.  Are you supposed to measure it at the joint, above the joint or below the joint?

Imho, this thread is showing some narrow-mindedness I'm not comfortable with seeing in my fellow HST brethren.

I would argue we do not know how valuable variation in exercise is in terms of sponsoring muscle growth from a purely &quot;scientific&quot; basis, and that there are valid reasons for suggesting that variety might well have SOMETHING to do with muscular growth.

I would contend, for example, that &quot;neural,&quot; or more specifically, non-structural gains in strength can occur for way, way, way, way longer than 2-4 weeks. There are powerlifters and olympic athletes who add strength over YEARS without gaining an ounce of muscle, remaining in the same weight classes but being capable of moving more weight.

I have personally experienced this myself enough times to have no doubt as to its truth. Siff mentioned this in Supertraining way back when, and I think one of the surest indicators of how much your increases in strength reflect increases in contractile tissue can be found by what happens when you take a break from that exercise. Does 1-2 weeks off from squatting wipe out your new squatting strength? If so, dollars to donuts says it wasn't primarily muscle that accounts for that difference. People have put on, literally, 50+ lbs on their squat in ~2 months using a retarded high volume/frequency Smolov routine and are identical in bodyweight/muscularity afterwards. How is that possible?

The usual response is diet - eat more and strength gains &quot;become&quot; muscle. Except I personally think that's bullshit, that while it works very well for some, others will simply get a little more muscular and a lot fatter (again, I've been there). I think Scientific Muscle should realize this now as he just went through an entire bulk/cut cycle with a net gain of very little muscle, far below what he did on a more modest increase in calories his first time through max-stim.

Bear in mind that I am not suggesting that adding weight to the bar or eating enough are unimportant. Quite the opposite, I'd probably argue that they're still the two most important factors there are, but rather that they are not the ONLY factors governing this stuff, and that certain potential factors are being ignored outright.

Also, I happen to know another prominent labcoat around here that I've been in correspondence with that agrees with me =0

Btw, simple illustration of my point on the disconnect between added weight on the bar and actual tension experienced by a &quot;target&quot; muscle:

Enoka in Neuromechanics of Human Movement references a study in olympic weightlifters comparing an 8 RM and 3 RM squat in respect to tension of the quadriceps.

What was found was that tension on the quads between 8 and 3 RM for a given weightlifter was identical, despite the much greater magnitude in load of the 3 RM. The ability to generate more force came through almost imperceptible alterations in form, in particular by shifting more tension to the back and glutes.

Doing a little math, if these squatters had a 1 RM of 400 lbs in the oly squat (which is probably way lowballing it, but just to be safe and illustrate the point), here would be the numbers:

Assuming 8 RM is somewhere around 80% 1 RM:

Assuming 3 RM is somewhere around 90% 1 RM:

In other words, adding 40 lbs to the bar (which is a healthy jump in weight) resulted in a net gain in tension on the quadriceps of 0 pounds of force. Subtle alteration in mechanics shifted this load onto other muscles/structures, including the glutes and lower back.

And an increase in 40 lbs in a lift would represent a pretty substantial jump, but also tracks with the logic in my post above.

The usual counterpoint to this is &quot;well, assuming the form is the same, THEN increases in strength better reflect increases in CSA.&quot; Except that these alterations in form are so subtle that they're practically out of our control, would probably not be noticed.

Imho, the body will always take the path of least resistance, and modification of motor economy/efficiency is far less energetically expensive than laying down new muscle tissue. So, all else constant, the body will find an easier way to compensate for the increased demands you are placing upon it.

I believe this is where variety fits in, that, perhaps (underline = speculation), a muscle may actually be more susceptible to strain when it (and the nervous system) is NOT used to a given movement pattern. Note that the introduction of new exercises very often results in DOMS, and while Dan hates the very mention of it, the Yu papers did, imho, point to DOMS being a roundabout indicator of remodeling (Ron agrees Dan, don't kill me!), indicating that a simple change in exercise CAN sponsor structural changes.

No, this doesn't mean DOMS is really particularly valid as a metric for progress (remodeling can absolutely take place in the absence of DOMS), but that when it does happen, might mean that something structural IS taking place in the muscle aside from simple damage/inflammation.

I would also suggest the possibility that some of the genetic expression involved in the hypertrophic pathways may well down-regulate in the face of chronic, similar stimuli, and that alterations in variables known to influence these pathways (e.g. volume, density, perhaps variety as above) may actually evoke a stronger response, at least temporarily.

Starting my recent cycle, of course the loads are sub-max in the beginning of the cycle. To accomodate the low loading I substituted decline bench press in place of dips and pulldowns in place of chin-ups. Very similar movements especially chins and pulldowns. After the first 2 weeks, the loads had progressed enough to use bodyweight and I resumed normal dips and chins. I definitely experienced an increased DOMS response from this....particularly in the target muscles...pecs and lats. I normally almost never get DOMS in my lats, so this was interesting.

Fact is Mikey, DOMS doesn't mean growth. It may however mean that different MUs are being fired predominately than had been with the previous similar exercise. So in this sense alternating exercises may be beneficial, to insure that a large variety of different muscle fibers are being worked intensely.
Which is why Bryan and many others suggest alternating compounds like dips/bench, squats/leg presses, chins/rows, etc.
I agree with this to a certain extent. I just like doing the same exercise over and over. I enjoy neural gains! To be honest though, my lower body doing only squats and deads may be limiting the amount of hypertrophy stimulation. I am sure if I added leg extensions, leg curls and calf raises I would see more significant growth in the legs than I am seing with mainly just squats. This of course due to the fact that different MUs being predominately fired. Finishing squats and then doing the above mentioned isolations would no doubt hit some parts of the quadriceps, hamstrings and calves that had not been strained as directly as they could have been. If I had more time to workout, and more variety of equipment I would most likely be doing this. But for now 20 reps/workout with the main compounds is doing the job 'good enough'.
smile.gif

<div>
(mikeynov @ Jan. 20 2007,00:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would contend, for example, that &quot;neural,&quot; or more specifically, non-structural gains in strength can occur for way, way, way, way longer than 2-4 weeks.  There are powerlifters and olympic athletes who add strength over YEARS without gaining an ounce of muscle, remaining in the same weight classes but being capable of moving more weight.</div>
And no one said they don't. The neural system is plastic as well as the architectural change seen in muscle. But it's been pretty well confirmed that in commencement of a new skill it takes a couple weeks to become adept at the skill. This isn't saying the neural improvements stop adapting at this point.

The question isn't should one ever change exercises, the question is when should they, why should they and which should they?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Also, I happen to know another prominent labcoat around here that I've been in correspondence with that agrees with me =0</div>

That's great and let them speak up and give their view as I'm sure, like yourself, they have some good insights.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Note that the introduction of new exercises very often results in DOMS, and while Dan hates the very mention of it, the Yu papers did, imho, point to DOMS being a roundabout indicator of remodeling (Ron agrees Dan, don't kill me!), indicating that a simple change in exercise CAN sponsor structural changes.</div>I don't hate the mention of it and I know Ron agrees or did agree with the same view you are taking and your view may very well be correct. What I don't agree with is how you are making this distinction when it was not tested by Yu himself, IE he did not test to see if remodeling occured without DOMS being present and more importantly is remodeling going to always occur if DOMS are present (this is the true test). IOW, if I do a single hamstring stretch and get DOMS does this mean remodeling is occurring?? If I do a heavy GM and don't get DOMS what is happening then?

DOMS may or may not be necessary to stimulate muscle growth. Personally I doubt it. However, the presence of DOMS does indicate muscle breakdown which is a precursor to muscle growth.

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Jan. 20 2007,12:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">However, the presence of DOMS does indicate muscle breakdown which is a precursor to muscle growth.</div>
No it don't and that is the whole intent of Yu's thesis and his observations along with Malm and MacIntyre.

MacIntyre DL
Eur J Appl Physiol. 2001 Mar;84(3):180-6.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">These findings suggest a relationship between damage to the contractile proteins and inflammation, and that DOMS is associated with inflammation but not with muscle damage.</div>

Malm took this further

J Physiol. 2004 May 1;556(Pt 3):983-1000
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Eccentric physical exercise (downhill running) did not result in skeletal muscle inflammation 48 h post exercise, despite DOMS and increased CK. It is suggested that exercise can induce DOMS by activating inflammatory factors present in the epimysium before exercise. Repeated physical training may alter the content of inflammatory factors in the epimysium and thus reduce DOMS.</div>

J Physiol. 2000 Nov 15;529 Pt 1:243-62.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">6. Based on results from the present study, and in the light of previously published data, it appears plausible that muscular adaptation to physical exercise occurs without preceding muscle inflammation. Nevertheless, leukocytes seem important for repair, regeneration and adaptation of human skeletal muscle.</div>

For those who are trying to stay with the line of discussion please see, for those who don't care then don't.

Yu JG, Malm C, Thornell LE.
Eccentric contractions leading to DOMS do not cause loss of desmin nor fibre necrosis in human muscle.
Histochem Cell Biol. 2002 Jul;118(1):29-34.

Yu JG, Thornell LE.
Desmin and actin alterations in human muscles affected by delayed onset muscle soreness: a high resolution immunocytochemical study.
Histochem Cell Biol. 2002 Aug;118(2):171-9.

Yu JG, Furst DO, Thornell LE.
The mode of myofibril remodelling in human skeletal muscle affected by DOMS induced by eccentric contractions.
Histochem Cell Biol. 2003 May;119(5):383-93.

Yu JG, Carlsson L, Thornell LE.
Evidence for myofibril remodeling as opposed to myofibril damage in human muscles with DOMS: an ultrastructural and immunoelectron microscopic study.
Histochem Cell Biol. 2004 Mar;121(3):219-27.

Now his latest research release begins to give a marker
that can be used to finally put an end to all this DOMS=Damage=Growth/Remodeling stuff, myotiltin. But still, unless direct comparisons are made on myotiltin's response with DOMS and w/o DOMS can anyone say how DOMS plays into the picture.

Neuromuscul Disord. 2006 Oct 20;
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">We show that myotilin was present in increased amount in lesions related to Z-disc streaming and events leading to insertion of new sarcomeres in pre-existing myofibrils and can therefore be used as a marker for myofibrillar remodelling. </div>

Something new to think about while I lay awake at night listening to Mrs. Grey snore and fighting for a mere 1/16th of the California king-size bed with 185 pounds of greying black Labs.
biggrin.gif

C'mon Dan! Everyone knows the best way to grow is to get your muscles sore. Just ask anybody at the gym! The best routine is to do 15 sets of 15 reps for 5 different exercises per muscle group. You won't even be able to get out of bed the next day the soreness wil be so bad!!! And since soreness=growth, that is a good thing!

[*heavy sarcasm here
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
]

I wonder if that means that workouts after an SD should be kept so short as to not induce DOMS since DOMS are not indicative of potential muscle growth?

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Jan. 20 2007,14:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">and fighting for a mere 1/16th of the California king-size bed with 185 pounds of greying black Labs.      
biggrin.gif
</div>
That's why I'm glad my Teddy Terrier only takes up about 1/16th instead of inverse.
biggrin.gif

Lastly what does all this really mean? In terms of survival it may be our adaptation to keep performance decrements from making us the hunted instead of the hunter. IE downhill walking/running or jumping causes a performance loss, this we know. If every time we exherted ourselves in this manner our abilty to evade being the hunted would be compomised so we needed this to survive. So as Yu himself puts it,

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Taken together, our findings suggest that muscles subjected to eccentric exercise and developing DOMS undergo focal remodeling. Formation of extra sarcomeres leads to a lengthening of the myofibrils, which might help the muscles to withstand further stress at later occasions. It is well known that a second bout of eccentric exercise, repeated within days to several months, results in significantly less damage and soreness than the first bout (Newham et al. 1987; Clarkson and Tremblay 1988; Ebbeling and Clarkson 1989; Brown et al. 1997; Foley et al. 1999; Nosaka et al. 2001; Nosaka and Newton 2002b). Our results give an explanation for the repeated bout effect and challenge the view that myofibrillar damage is the cause of DOMS.</div>

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Jan. 20 2007,14:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I wonder if that means that workouts after an SD should be kept so short as to not induce DOMS since DOMS are not indicative of potential muscle growth?</div>
Well I wouldn't say that because no where does it say that DOMS stalls growth either, directly. You may try and pin it on performance loss which would compromise your ability to train but that would only be in severe cases. I simply believe that you shouldn't worry or strive for DOMS or no DOMS, it is what it is
rock.gif

I know you remember VB (Vince Basile) this was his whole problem, he would have someone do whatever they can to induce DOMS, outrageous stuff, because he believes DOMS is indicative of growth.

Back