Simplify and Win!

Fausto.....I just came of 3 cycles of Wendler's 531 program and am in pretty fair shape. I'm new to hst and would like to give it a try. Do you think you could give my routine a once over and let me know what you think?
Leg press x 2

Bench x 2
Incline Bench x 1
Dips bw x1

Pull ups x 2
Smith rows x 2

Smith military press x 2

Preacher curl x 2

Skull crusher x2

Hi friends, my name is Carlos, from Brazil, I´m very interesed with HST and would like learn a lot with you guys.

I ´m training with HIT methodology for a while e have love it. However HST had take my attention.

I think in to use this routine:

Deadlift
Squat in hack machine
Dips
Chins
Seated Rows
Curls

What you think about this workout for a HST cicle??

Sorry by my weak english.

Nice.
Free weight squats are probably better than machine squats.
Bench press would be good.

My question is that Squat after Dealift will force my low back...
I am not good with bench press, because this I choose dips for a consistent work to chest and tris.

I don't like hack squats and would probably swap them out with leg press or else alternate squats with deads, but for your first time it would be simpler not to alternate just yet until you get a feel for how to organize your HST cycles. So either keep doing the hack squat or swap for leg press as I recommended. I would do chest supported rows instead of seated rows if you find that the deads and seated rows are hitting your lower back too much. I know seated rows don't directly involve the lower back like bentover rows do, but I find that they still put strain on the lower back often. I think deadlifting thrice a week is plenty of lower back work for the majority of people.

I would recommend adding in bench press at the end, keeping it light and doing that each workout until you can master the technique. Dips are great for pec development but I think the flat bench press is a good movement to master early on as well for overall pec development.

I don't like hack squats and would probably swap them out with leg press or else alternate squats with deads, but for your first time it would be simpler not to alternate just yet until you get a feel for how to organize your HST cycles. So either keep doing the hack squat or swap for leg press as I recommended. I would do chest supported rows instead of seated rows if you find that the deads and seated rows are hitting your lower back too much. I know seated rows don't directly involve the lower back like bentover rows do, but I find that they still put strain on the lower back often. I think deadlifting thrice a week is plenty of lower back work for the majority of people.

I would recommend adding in bench press at the end, keeping it light and doing that each workout until you can master the technique. Dips are great for pec development but I think the flat bench press is a good movement to master early on as well for overall pec development.

My friend, thanks for your reply.

I don´t know what´s happen to me when I do bench press, my wrists seems like turn back so much e would break ( this sounds good?? )

Instead with dips I have found a exercise that give a good work to my chest and tris.

My Bench press stop in 40 Kilos or 88 lbs as you wish =(

On the leg press, I don´t have a goob equipment here in my work place.

Probably you need to work on your technique with bench. Instead of allowing your hands to bend back on the wrist, you should try to keep the back of your hands in a straight line all the way down your arm, using your palm as a "shelf" to hold the bar. If you start off light, then eventually you should become accustomed to this and you will also start to build a bit of callous on your palms in that area that will help hold the bar.

Probably you need to work on your technique with bench. Instead of allowing your hands to bend back on the wrist, you should try to keep the back of your hands in a straight line all the way down your arm, using your palm as a "shelf" to hold the bar. If you start off light, then eventually you should become accustomed to this and you will also start to build a bit of callous on your palms in that area that will help hold the bar.

Let us see if I understand, I´m using a grid close around the bar with thumbs, do you say to me don´t use the thumbs for close the bar in my hands??

Thanks

My friends,

What the most abbreviate routine that you did??

I would like try one this on my first workout, but I fear that don´t chose a good workout :(

Try this out fox:

M/W/F
Squat
SLDL
Bench/Dip
Row/Chin
Standing Shoulder Press

During 5s and beyond this becomes:

Squat/Deads (on Wednesday only)
Bench/Dip
Row/Chin
Standing Shoulder Press (push presses during post-5s)

Tues/Thurs
Possibly some arm isos or ab work - time permitting.

Try this out fox:

M/W/F
Squat
SLDL
Bench/Dip
Row/Chin
Standing Shoulder Press

During 5s and beyond this becomes:

Squat/Deads (on Wednesday only)
Bench/Dip
Row/Chin
Standing Shoulder Press (push presses during post-5s)

Tues/Thurs
Possibly some arm isos or ab work - time permitting.

Very cool Fausto,

The big problem to me is that I´m not so familiar with Stiff =(

I am thinking to use for chest dips and lever seated fly instead bench ( other problem ).

What you think about it??

In future cycles I would try bench press and Stiff.

Thanks

Back